Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
voriki

Re: WARNING: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban

Post by voriki »

Oops, a day later than I planned.
Happy holidays. I wish you all a good health and a proper explanation to your moderations.
Col Rosenberg

Post by Col Rosenberg »

@voriki

My Dad use to have a saying; I might not always be right, But I'm still Dad.
Let it go.
KongKing123

Post by KongKing123 »

Col Rosenberg wrote: 26 December 2022, 09:15 @voriki

Let it go.
Except BGA isn't our dad: it is a company that can be pushed to do the right thing, and must be held accountable when it doesn't respect the rules.

I commend his tenaciousness.
Col Rosenberg

Post by Col Rosenberg »

Except BGA isn't our dad:
Who your Daddy!
Don't those people at least deserve a response here?
NO!
WARNING: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
Take it as if your Drill Sergeant (Dad) is talking to you.
I'm sure Moderators have a tough job...they take a lot of flak.

But, but, but can't we just talk it out??? Think of it as a kind of trial-and-error thing...do it again and you might learn

WARNING: challenging a moderation - This means Shut it (don't you get it)!

I did too, at first. Now it just becomes redundant.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

Col Rosenberg wrote: 27 December 2022, 22:20 I did too, at first. Now it just becomes redundant.
More like petulant. If they were really serious, they'd create a new thread about their moderation and see what happens. This boundary-testing exercise in this thread is cringeworthy.
Gulchen

Post by Gulchen »

voriki did indicate that on 01/01, voriki
"may take into consideration - still undecided - start a fresh new post."

I'm guessing "post" there refers to "thread", since voriki already did
"put a fresh new comment within this thread", on roughly the day planned.

I share the view of KongKing here.
lucy williams

Post by lucy williams »

KongKing123 wrote: 27 December 2022, 21:03
Except BGA isn't our dad: it is a company that can be pushed to do the right thing, and must be held accountable when it doesn't respect the rules.

It is correct that BGA is owned by a company, however in terms of the way it is run, it is more fairly characterised as a community website.

The moderation team is composed of a few courageous volunteers, and there is a limit as to what can be asked of volunteers when it comes to getting in to prolonged arguments with tenacious and argumentative individuals.

They would need to start employing professional moderators, which would involve raising the membership fees. Or alternatively, we could just be kind and respectful to each other on the forums, in which case we are very unlikely to attract the attention of the moderators in the first place. The BGA moderators are not heavy-handed as far as I have noticed.

In voriki's case - may be he/she has been genuinely wronged - I have no idea...but they have given their gripe a lot of airtime now, and they have a "de facto" response from BGA in my opinion, which is that the BGA moderators have decided not to commit any more of their volunteer time into that issue.

Voriki now faces a choice in my opinion- either:
1) They could take their business elsewhere, perhaps to a more commercial gaming website which has much higher membership fees, but has professional moderators who can educate him/her better if he/she gets into trouble with the moderation policy again.
2) They could accept that the pros of BGA outweigh the cons, and accept the fact that the moderation was not a perfect experience for them on this occasion, but that is time to move on to a new battle.
AshleyShea

Post by AshleyShea »

I have a problem related to moderation, but I think it’s a site bug. Twice now I have had my IP address blocked for no reason. I don’t receive an email explaining what happened and the URL is the site URL, so I can’t follow the proper channels of contesting the moderation.

This has happened twice when I couldn’t get the site to load properly. I hit the back button and get this message that my IP address is being blocked because of a violation of terms of use. You can check my account. I have a 100% rating.

The first time it happened, I checked with my internet provider to make sure someone wasn’t using my internet service. They couldn’t find any issues, but they upgraded my firmware, which changed my IP address. This time I’m using a friend’s internet access to get in to send this message.

I hope someone can look into this and send a message to my email address to let me know the cause of moderation if this is not a technical glitch.

Thanks!
voriki

Post by voriki »

KongKing123 wrote: 27 December 2022, 21:03
Col Rosenberg wrote: 26 December 2022, 09:15 @voriki

Let it go.

Yup.

There is a difference if BGA would do this to a standard account, as they provide a free service, they have every right to withdraw said free service by exclaiming "don't like it, you're free to go elsewhere".

However when it comes to premium accounts, the accountability changes. Yes, BGA is merely offering their site as a portal for games and is not acountable for any bugs, but a form of customer support to their own internal site rules is the least one could expect. The fact that a person pre-pays a whole year, and is unable to withdraw their own subscription and obtain a refund leads to a situation that their customer in question can't take their business elsewhere without taking a financial loss.

With this I don't want to say that premium members should have more rights than standard users, but the very least one could expect is at least a clear guidance on how to use their site. I was moderated for an insult, but don't know what said insult was, thus can't learn from it. Did I call someone a banana? Is that an insult? I have no idea what I said. Once they confirm what I said, I will aknowledge it, and learn from it, whichbis what the moderation system in the form of warnings is for, right?

And I think I know that BGA is in a situation where they cannot respond to it correctly, as the insult supposedly occured on the forum, so most likely they themselves don't know anymore what it was since it lust've gotten deleted. In a judicidial system it would be called tampering with evidence, or no evidence to convict me to a guilty verdict. Any court of law in a civilised country would have no choice but to change my guilty verdict to not-guilty. All that's needed is for BGA to apologize that they themselves made an error of judgement in my moderation, and to take the feedback provided to mold it into the newer system. But even that last bit is not forthcoming.

And at the same time I am persistant to get a peep out of them. And this thread is something that they drew themselves into a corner with. They can't ban me for 10 days if there is no actual moderation I could be banned for. But at the same time I kept the conversation, albeit one sided, civil and structured, and contained this in this thread only because I don't want to encourage other people who were rightfully moderated for actual misbehaveour to follow my lead when they see a new thread opened by me. Since even on the new thread, BGA can't take action as it again would mean aknowledging my situation. And I want to avoid putting BGA in that situation.
voriki

Post by voriki »

Gulchen wrote: 28 December 2022, 02:41 I'm guessing "post" there refers to "thread", since voriki already did
Yes, thread indeed. Post is my Reddit-mindset coming into play.

Return to “Discussions”