cheaters

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
iururu

cheaters

Post by iururu »

tl;dr: no mechanism to detect and ban cheaters makes this website not suitable for playing chess.

So I came to this website to play hive, as I love that board game, but I also happen to be a Candidate Master in chess with online ELO up to 2350 on * websites for blitz, so I decided to try chess here and on my game 2 I encounter a cheater.

It is obvious and easy to see once you're at certain level: no matter how difficult or simple the position is, it takes them equal amount of time -- 5-6 seconds, crushing tactics, knowledge of theory way beyond normal; people don't know openings so well even on serious websites, only maybe starting from the level of International Masters.

I don't really expect justice, they don't have the tools here similar to the ones they have on alternative platforms (e.g. calculating probabilities you're cheating based on accuracy of your gameplay)

The guy (or gal) claimed they were not using a computer and they play chess for 10 years and their FIDE rating was 900-1000. Ha. Ha. Ha.

They also claimed they didn't have an account on mainstream chess platforms bc those unjustly ban people for cheating when you play really strong.

The game: *

Moderator edit: please do not mention other gaming platforms by name on BGA. Please do not use the forums to call out specific players or games, this is a channel for general discussion. If you have prrof a player is cheating, you should instead report them for moderation.
Meeplelowda

Re: cheaters

Post by Meeplelowda »

iururu wrote: 18 August 2022, 21:43 tl;dr: no mechanism to detect and ban cheaters makes this website not suitable for playing chess.
Of course. This has been discussed extensively. THIS IS NOT A CHESS SITE and one should not expect the bells and whistles of a chess site.
2pazzi

Post by 2pazzi »

iururu wrote: 18 August 2022, 21:43 tl;dr: no mechanism to detect and ban cheaters makes this website not suitable for playing chess.

So I came to this website to play hive, as I love that board game, but I also happen to be a Candidate Master in chess with online ELO up to 2350 on chess-com/lichess websites for blitz, so I decided to try chess here and on my game 2 I encounter a cheater.

It is obvious and easy to see once you're at certain level: no matter how difficult or simple the position is, it takes them equal amount of time -- 5-6 seconds, crushing tactics, knowledge of theory way beyond normal; people don't know openings so well even on serious websites, only maybe starting from the level of International Masters.

I don't really expect justice, they don't have the tools here similar to the ones they have on alternative platforms (e.g. calculating probabilities you're cheating based on accuracy of your gameplay)

The guy (or gal) claimed they were not using a computer and they play chess for 10 years and their FIDE rating was 900-1000. Ha. Ha. Ha.

They also claimed they didn't have an account on mainstream chess platforms bc those unjustly ban people for cheating when you play really strong.

The game: https://boardgamearena.com/gamereview?table=292696495
Did you realize, before posting, that already 4 or 5 topic with the same exact content are already present on this forum?
Cheating is not respecting the ethics of a game.
Reposting is not respecting the netiquette of a forum.
iururu

Post by iururu »

I am not reposting, I am telling my story

A pretty freaking strong chess player tried this website, I think good to know

Also having more people complain is a good thing -- maybe new players will see a fresh post, maybe someone amongst developers would finally get into it

I don't see why would you react in such a negative and defensive way to my friendly post
iururu

Post by iururu »

THIS IS NOT A CHESS SITE and one should not expect the bells and whistles of a chess site.
I explicitly mentioned in my post I did not expect any bells or whistles
2pazzi

Post by 2pazzi »

iururu wrote: 19 August 2022, 09:00
I am not reposting, I am telling my story
Oh and why do you call your post "cheaters" instead of "I am telling my story"?
iururu wrote: 19 August 2022, 09:00 Also having more people complain is a good thing -- maybe new players will see a fresh post, maybe someone amongst developers would finally get into it
No, they won't. If they wanted, they would have this done years ago. You are not special.
Adding more complaining to the already massive presence of complaining is simply being annoying and expecting your story to be special and different from the stories we read everyday on the forum.
iururu wrote: 19 August 2022, 09:00 I don't see why would you react in such a negative and defensive way to my friendly post
Because you complain of a negative behaviour by instating another negative behaviour.
We are both harassed by cheating players. Not only on Chess, on other games too.
But also posting the nth discussion with the very same content is harassing too.
So you perceive your post as friendly. But in fact that's just harassing.

If you just took another post on the forum with the same topic and added there (which is the only appropriate place) your story, nobody would have said anything.
Creating an entire new discussion for the very same topic again is a sign of disrespect.
You, basically, didn't lose any second browsing the forum and looking for the same topic.
If you did (and had more respect for the forum users) you would have found pretty other topics to merge your discussion in.
Silene

Post by Silene »

I think it's more important to improve the platform for other games that are not widely available and highly-optimized on other platforms like you can find for chess, go and various other classics. Competition in these games on BGA just doesn't work and never will. It's just not worth the effort to put too much work into improving for these games (like cheating detection).

However I am grateful the games exist here so when playing with friends you can also play one of those classics every now and then without having to register on those other optimized platforms. I wouldn't recommend playing with strangers unless you're ok with meeting cheaters.
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.
Een

Post by Een »

Actually I recently noticed that the Chess game page was missing a description text and updated it with the following.
Chess is a 2-player abstract board game representing medieval warfare.

It is a true classic, and one of the most famous board game in the world.

Chess 960 board setup variants are also available as an option.

NB: competitive modes are disabled due to helper software being easily accessible online for this game; our adaptation should be considered appropriate for initiation and casual play, not for competition.
I think it pretty much answers the subject.

@commenters on OP's post, while I'd say your points are valid, please remember to be kind. If we tried sum up the internet, it could be something like "too many complainers, not enough kindness". Please help restore the balance ;)
iururu

Post by iururu »

2pazzi,

My titles are none of your business, thank you

I am very special in the chess community bc of how much effort I put into it, and how much I taught newbies and how much knowledge I am yet open to share

I never complained, that was your interpretation

I am not regularly harassed by cheaters, this was my semi-first and hopefully-last encounter

Chess is not yet another game for me, I play only chess and hive

I did spend many seconds researching how chess cheating detection is implemented on BGA and other platforms and when were people complaining

I have a lot of respect to the chess community and hive, but I don't care about other forums. I think it's fair bc there's a link to this forum on the page of the chess game

You are negative, you gatekeep, you harass a new member, you base aggression on incorrect assumptions and you want respect. Well, you're not getting any
2pazzi

Post by 2pazzi »

iururu wrote: 21 August 2022, 22:48 My titles are none of your business, thank you
While you write on the same forum I do, yes they are.
iururu wrote: 21 August 2022, 22:48 I am very special in the chess community bc of how much effort I put into it, and how much I taught newbies and how much knowledge I am yet open to share
Other people should tell wheter you are special or not. Not you.
Self-praise is no recommendation.
iururu wrote: 21 August 2022, 22:48 I never complained, that was your interpretation
That was, actually, the whole point of your message.
iururu wrote: 21 August 2022, 22:48 I am not regularly harassed by cheaters, this was my semi-first and hopefully-last encounter
Chess is not yet another game for me, I play only chess and hive
I did spend many seconds researching how chess cheating detection is implemented on BGA and other platforms and when were people complaining
But you didn't spend a single second securing that your topic was already open on the forum.
iururu wrote: 21 August 2022, 22:48 I have a lot of respect to the chess community and hive, but I don't care about other forums. I think it's fair bc there's a link to this forum on the page of the chess game
So you basically admit that you don't care.
iururu wrote: 21 August 2022, 22:48 You are negative, you gatekeep, you harass a new member, you base aggression on incorrect assumptions and you want respect. Well, you're not getting any
I'm not harassing anyone. I am explaining to a new member that, in fact they are having an harassing behaviour and they should stop and stick to the netiquette, wheter they like it or not.

You didn't have any respect towards your fellow forum members when you started this topic. So you basically are a disrespectful person. So no, I'm not getting any respect as much as nobody on the forum, from you, because you don't know how to use it.

Have a nice day.

Return to “Chess”