[Official] It's time to Power-Up!

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
thoun

[Official] It's time to Power-Up!

Post by thoun »

For the one year aniversay of King of Tokyo on BGA, we decided to make you scroll a little and ...

“Power-Up!” expansion is now available in King of Tokyo !

This expansion brings power specific to each Monster. They are available for the 6 base Monster, plus a shiny new Monster : Pandakaï !
You start with one Evolution, but you can get more of them when rolling at least 3 hearts. And you can play them anytime!
You also have an alternative to draft Evolution cards before playing.

If you want to play with “Power-Up!” event :
  • Automatic mode : On the game settings (gear icon on the lobby), in “Power-Up!” Event section, set "Enabled" choices to "I'm okay playing with". If you want to play only “Power-Up!” Event, set "Disabled" to "I never want to play with". You can also pick intermediate values to play mostly with “Power-Up!” Event.
  • Manual mode : set “Power-Up!” Event to one of the "Enabled" choices when creating the table.
And if you want to maximize your chances to play with you favorite Monster and its evolutions:
  • Automatic mode : On the game settings (gear icon on the lobby), in “Pick monster” section, set "Pick" to "I'm okay playing with" and "Automatic" to "I never want to play with". You will only join tables where you have a chance to chose you Monster!
  • Manual mode : set “Pick monster” option to "Pick" when creating the table.
Have fun playing this new version of King of Tokyo!

And as you can see on the last image, it's not over! Another beautiful surprise will be there on October
Last edited by thoun on 30 September 2022, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.
TrYde

Re: [Official] It's time to Power-Up!

Post by TrYde »

This is awesome ! My first and favorite expansion !
thoun

Post by thoun »

A new Evolution step has been added to handle Anger Batteries case :
After the end of a player's turn, an extra step is added to allow a player to play Anger Batteries, in case the player can't buy cards, because in this case it goes to smashes to the next player without you having time to play this evolution.

Plus, in this state, it shows how many hearts you will gain by playing it, in the top corner, as shown in this image :
TrYde

Post by TrYde »

How much energy, not how many hearts, if I read the card correctly. So you are showing the amount of damage the player has taken during the turn, right?
thoun

Post by thoun »

Right, it should be an energy symbol, I'll fix that. But the number is already correct.
Mister Furious

Post by Mister Furious »

Thanks for all your hard work.
voriki

Post by voriki »

thoun wrote: 04 September 2022, 21:51 A new Evolution step has been added to handle Anger Batteries case :
After the end of a player's turn, an extra step is added to allow a player to play Anger Batteries, in case the player can't buy cards, because in this case it goes to smashes to the next player without you having time to play this evolution.

Plus, in this state, it shows how many hearts you will gain by playing it, in the top corner, as shown in this image :
Just an example to make it confusing for you :) Assume the player has the card at hand, lose 1 ❤ due to a curse card(I keep forgetting Curse card names) at the start of their turn, lose another 2 ❤ because of a Snake Effect, and then during the Buy Phase they purchase a Hugh Altitude Bombing and lose 3 ❤, then the Evolution Card in their hand correctly keeps increasing the value listed within the same turn?

Anyway, it's a great addition that the value remains listed.
thoun

Post by thoun »

Yes, it will add up. And it will also show on your turn, on case you damage yourself during your turn.
TrYde

Post by TrYde »

Last game I noticed a player misusing this card, thinking that he would get energy for damage he did during the turn... Told him it was the way around, but with this change it will be much clearer.

May I suggest a confirmation when an evolution yields nothing? Not sure if it would be a hard work but it would prevent wasting an evolution for new players.
Timmenator

Post by Timmenator »

How to play power-up when you don't have premium? I can see barely anyone play it anymore since the event stopped. I hope this is not a trick to convince everyone to have premium.

Return to “King of Tokyo”