Halloween - Begin with a Costume

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
randomlife

Halloween - Begin with a Costume

Post by randomlife »

Is there an option to use the Halloween expansion, but not allow players to start with a costume? I would prefer that. Some of those costumes are too good to start with.
thoun

Re: Halloween - Begin with a Costume

Post by thoun »

There is no option for that, bga implementation follow the rules, and there is no such thing in the rules.
voriki

Post by voriki »

Hey Thoun, just noticed the uploaded .pdf on BGA is the 1st edition(2013) of Halloween, where starting with a costume is optional.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/1540 ... ok-english
Here is the 2nd edition, 2017.
This does indeed imply starting with a costume(choice between 2) is mandatory.
thoun

Post by thoun »

You can add it to the game page (everyone can) and downvote the old one ;)
voriki

Post by voriki »

Thanks Thoun, I actually didn't know that before.
Done.
randomlife

Post by randomlife »

Thanks, I wonder why they made that change in the 2nd edition.
thoun

Post by thoun »

Probably to make easier rules. Like the "roll at least one claw to enter Tokyo" they removed in the second edition.
voriki

Post by voriki »

Like many games that often get expanded upon, one of the most notable examples being the popular TCG Magic the Gathering, originally created by Richard Gar...field? Hmmm, I wonder who this Richard guy is, probably just a nobody that never made any decent games afterwards.

Magic's rules have been revised a couple of times because the amount of cards continued to expand, additional playtests occured and new combinations discovered, and those revisions are required to keep the game balanced more. Ofcourse it's not exactly the same kind of comparison to this King of Tokyo game, but as the game expands further, it's needed to simplify the gameplay rules as much as possible to avoid confusion.

Ah, now I remember, Richard Garfield also made other games like Bunny Kingdom. And some strange Kaiju game with monsters fighting around some kind of major city. It'd be much cooler if they fought around some kind of volcano.

Return to “King of Tokyo”