New tutorial to get more people into this game!

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
3p1cFr3nzy

New tutorial to get more people into this game!

Post by 3p1cFr3nzy »

Hey Crew community,

I've recently created a tutorial for this game which goes over the majority of the most important aspects (not everything like trumping with rockets or problems you may encounter in a mission) but it should be okay for beginners to grasp. Here is the link to it.

https://boardgamearena.com/tutorial?gam ... orial=1034

I'm just an apprentice at the game so if I have missed any important rules or strategy tips I should mention, it'll be great if you could post it on this forum. Thanks to everyone who got me enthused in this game!

Note: The tutorial will be subject to change.
SquashEngineer

Re: New tutorial to get more people into this game!

Post by SquashEngineer »

I have some observations regarding the Tutorial content. Do you want them posted here?
3p1cFr3nzy

Post by 3p1cFr3nzy »

Sure go ahead. It's still in testing (Beta) anyways.
SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

The Crew: Tutorial Observations

1. In the Introduction, "Gather your spacesuit, your friends(,) and your cameras(,) as we are going on a(n) space adventure ..."
In parentheses, add comma and spelling. Does "cameras" have anything to do with the theme or original rules of the card game? Why was that added to the narrative?

2. The word "yellow" was not colourized.
"Blue = Blue" should be "Blue = Circle"

3. Colour Blind could be more sensitively updated to Colour Vision Deficiency (CVD) - an acceptable term for those affected. Or even better, not mentioned at all. Simply state "An alternate suit identifier is provided by symbol, rather than colour."

4. Distress Signal typo. "The Distress signal allows a(ll) players to ... "

5. [Every Instance] “Sonar” Token would only be used for water. The original rules refer to Radio Communication Tokens. If text space is the intent for the change, "radar" might be acceptable.

6. "It's Buggy here" is not necessary. Don't admit the limitations - simply automate the steps for the user.

7. [Every Instance] "Captain" should be "Commander"

8. "But we'll discuss that later..." In both cases below, the topic is not actually discussed later that is noticeable, so the warning is not required.
a. Trump cards explained later on
b. High numbered tasks are usually difficult to take unless you have that card (more on that very shortly)
3p1cFr3nzy

Post by 3p1cFr3nzy »

Thanks for the suggestions - I must have a ton of tunnel vision when checking my writing.

Checklist:

1: Cameras has been removed. It was just to add some wit which seems to have failed.
2: You cannot colour yellow with the tools unfortunately so I've just put all the colours in bold instead.
3: Colourblind is removed.
4: Fixed.
5: Fixed. I'm to used to saying that with playing a lot of the other version of the crew (deep sea).
6: Removed.
7: Fixed. Misread the rules and again, captain is in deep sea version so got muddled.
8: Warnings removed.

Thanks again for your contribution!
SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

Errata 2:
The distress signal you see over there on the right should only be used if you think its impossible ... " change to "it's."

WHY ARE THERE TWO TUTORIALS FOR THIS GAME?? IS THIS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT tutorial - it seems a whole bunch of new stuff has shown up that was not there before during my first review.
Where's the colours stuff, and other comments? What happened?
Seems the below comments are for the Active Tutorial, and there is a second tutorial accessible through the FORUM link.

Errata 3:

1. "The first thing that will show will be ... " - odd sentence - two "will"

2. "This signifies the Commander/Captain ... " - remove Captain

3. change "... that would cause such a problem as to need a signal distress ... " to "distress signal"

4. "The green helmet button is ... " - its a Communication Token - why introduce a new term
"You can com your highest ... " - com is a bad shortform.
"Communication Pending Token" - Why is it now called Pending? Why is it completely covered by the finger?
"Let's com ... " - also poor

5. Tutorial wanted me to play the yellow 4, but was highlighting the yellow 9?

Tutorial review abandoned - the Active Tutorial is a long drawn out disaster.

The shorter tutorial is better.
3p1cFr3nzy

Post by 3p1cFr3nzy »

Yeah it will say who made the tutorial at the start - just look for the name after 'This tutorial exists thanks to ....'. Both tutorials are in beta so are currently randomly chosen when selecting the 'Learn' option. If one goes official this will not happen any more.
SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

As a newb user, that’s a terrible way to shake bugs out of two competing beta tutorials!!!
3p1cFr3nzy

Post by 3p1cFr3nzy »

My one went official so no more random picks now :)
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

I attempted to play the tutorial today (February 14, 2023), and it broke when it told me to choose the green 9 from my hand to play the first trick. It kept saying to play the intended move whenever I clicked on it. I double checked my browser setup to make sure it wasn't breaking anything, and it's not. I don't know if this has happened to anyone else, so I thought I'd bring it up.

Return to “The Crew: The Quest for Planet Nine”