Table Talk??

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
horsetrailer

Table Talk??

Post by horsetrailer »

I have been told that there are 2 times asking your partner a question 'in play' is not table talk BUT yesterday I was told I was doing table talk? One question that is okay to ask is "shall I go out"? I have read in the rules that this is polite and should be done. I have had some partners say that the game should not continue unless this question is asked? The second question, that I could not find an answer to, in the rules is - "partner please play what you can, I am stuck in my hand". I was told last night this is table talk? Is it? I do not wish to violate the rules? Nor do I wish to offend someone. Thank you for your feed back.
msmontville

Re: Table Talk??

Post by msmontville »

I’d like clarification or some consensus on these situations too. When I play, in real life, it is a requirement that you ask your partner permission to go out. But, rules differ depending where you play geographically…and, as we know, between online and IRL. I personally am fine with players asking this during games. As to expressing that your stuck in your hand…and giving the ok for your partner to not wait for you — I’ve always view this as friendly and harmless banter. So, I would not consider either table talk. That’s my two cents … for what it’s worth. ;)
Mealsy

Post by Mealsy »

Asking whether to go out is fine however should be a simple yes or no type response. I don't consider asking to be a requirement though. So generally pick when/if I ask.
"partner please play what you can, I am stuck in my hand"
This is definitely Table Talk. As it is essentially telling your partner how/what to play.
LoriDean

Post by LoriDean »

I agree with Mealsy on both points. I think you'll find that some people don't mind, and some people will report you for a violation of rules. **shrugs** I would err on the side of caution.
RavingWanderer

Post by RavingWanderer »

I know I've mentioned this before elsewhere, but I specifically omitted implementing options for requiring (or disallowing) game-mediated going-out requests. This is something that IMHO should be decided and agreed at the table. (I don't think such requests are table talk, myself.)

That said, if someone wants a game-mediated requirement for going-out requests, a request for it should be added in the BGA bug reporting system.

Return to “Hand and Foot”