Solo mode - Challenges

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Tof63

Solo mode - Challenges

Post by Tof63 »

I plan to add challenges to the single player mode. I thought of this for example:

- Difficulty 1:
To win the player has to solve 3 puzzles consecutively, and is only allowed one give-up : the player starts with one life, if he fails on a puzzle he loses one life, if he fails again the game is lost.
Max duration per round: 20 minutes (less is allowed)
No other constraints imposed.

- Difficulty 2:
To win, the player must solve 6 puzzles consecutively. The player starts with one life and gains an extra one after solving the 3rd puzzle.
Maximum time per round : 15 minutes (less is allowed)
Grid : 8 x 8 minimum (more is allowed)
Items : 10 minimum (more is allowed)

- Difficulty 3:
To win, the player must solve 10 puzzles consecutively. The player starts with one life and gains an extra one after solving the 5th puzzle.
Maximum time per round : 10 minutes (less is allowed)
Grid : 8 x 8 minimum (more is allowed)
Items : 14 minimum (more is allowed)
Black holes and light warps are mandatory.

What do you think about it?
Do you have any suggestions?
Caterpie1012

Re: Solo mode - Challenges

Post by Caterpie1012 »

I think the time limit could be shorter.
Difficulty 1: 10 minutes
Difficulty 2: 5 minutes
Difficulty 3: 2 minutes, etc.
dexdouglas

Post by dexdouglas »

I think the times are fine but I’m not an expert at this game.

Regarding the challenges, they also seem good. Would there be the same puzzles generated for everyone on each day?
Tof63

Post by Tof63 »

dexdouglas wrote: 11 September 2022, 10:01 I think the times are fine but I’m not an expert at this game.

Regarding the challenges, they also seem good. Would there be the same puzzles generated for everyone on each day?
For this I need a persistent database, and for the moment I don't have any. I have to ask the bga team if it's possible!
Tof63

Post by Tof63 »

Caterpie1012 wrote: 11 September 2022, 09:24 I think the time limit could be shorter.
Difficulty 1: 10 minutes
Difficulty 2: 5 minutes
Difficulty 3: 2 minutes, etc.
In fact I just wanted to set a maximum duration but allowing to reduce it if the player wants more difficulty.
For example, level 2, I say the limit is 15 minutes, but if a player wants to set it to 10 minutes he can. But he can't set it to 20 minutes.
you think it's not a good idea?
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

Just as a though, reducing the board size make it harder.
If you reduce it to the minimum (ie 4x4, 14 items+light warp), it became easier since you know every spot is used.
If you have like 3 empty space or more, it became really hard.
ddxu2

Post by ddxu2 »

If you have a database, maybe you could record those really hard puzzle made by random or real people :p
Caterpie1012

Post by Caterpie1012 »

Tof63 wrote: 12 September 2022, 07:58

In fact I just wanted to set a maximum duration but allowing to reduce it if the player wants more difficulty.
For example, level 2, I say the limit is 15 minutes, but if a player wants to set it to 10 minutes he can. But he can't set it to 20 minutes.
you think it's not a good idea?

That is a very good idea. Thank you!
Tof63

Post by Tof63 »

Cool. This will be my next dev after the team mode 😊
MrBeardy

Post by MrBeardy »

I just went through 25 auto generated ones in a row. Apart from the comedy of valid solutions not being accepted unless they match exactly the target arrangement (despite satisfying all criteria) I don't see a problem with a daily challenge of multiples. 10 mins is fine for 8*8 grid and no warp. Not tried it with warp

Return to “Reflection”