Solo mode - Challenges

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Tof63

Re: Solo mode - Challenges

Post by Tof63 »

MrBeardy wrote: 02 October 2022, 23:06 Apart from the comedy of valid solutions not being accepted unless they match exactly the target arrangement (despite satisfying all criteria)
If you found a case where a solution that seems valid to you is not accepted then it's a bug, don't hesitate to create a ticket with a screenshot so I can see it please.
MrBeardy

Post by MrBeardy »

I wrote that not realising the importance of the yellow numbers being how far it has to travel. So generally this was wrong of me I now realise. However there was one map where it accepted solution with one mirror unplayed. I will see if I can find it later when I'm at a computer rather than on mobile
Tof63

Post by Tof63 »

Oh ok!
It is possible to find a different solution than the expected one and the game accepts it.
It is also sometimes possible to find a valid solution without using all the mirrors, this is not a bug, no worries :)
Thanks for your help!
Silene

Post by Silene »

Tof63 wrote: 04 October 2022, 10:45 It is also sometimes possible to find a valid solution without using all the mirrors, this is not a bug, no worries :)
If you are still developing - maybe consider to NOT allow this. I understand that sometimes different solutions are possible. But it would be a better game to only accept solutions (equal or different to the original) that use all the pieces. Because "hiding a straight mirror" should be a thing. If I make a riddle with a hidden mirror (that's not hit by any laser), it would be good if only solutions are accepted where the solver arranged it in a way that it's actually possible to hide the mirror at some spot. Same with having to make some extra turns to accomodate all diagonal mirrors.
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.
Tof63

Post by Tof63 »

I tried to make an algorithm to verify that there is only one solution and so far I have not succeeded.
I'm afraid it will have to stay that way unfortunately :(

Simple cases, where a mirror is "hidden", are identified and avoided. But there are cases where a radically different solution exists using fewer elements. For these cases I have (at least for the moment) no solution.
Silene

Post by Silene »

Tof63 wrote: 04 October 2022, 18:58 I tried to make an algorithm to verify that there is only one solution and so far I have not succeeded.
I'm afraid it will have to stay that way unfortunately :(
I didn't suggest that the solution should have to be exactly the same or that a puzzle should have only one solution. Just that you should have to put all the tiles in the grid.
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

I agree. Valid solutions should only be those that use all the required components.
Tof63

Post by Tof63 »

Ok but i told you that i dont know how to detect the cases when an alternative solution exists using less items 😔
I detect the simple cases when an item his "hidden", but there are more complicated cases that are not detected.
If you are suggested that the game should not accept these solutions, I'm sure it will be considered as a bug...
This case is explained in the rules, and it's not very common anyway
Tof63

Post by Tof63 »

...or maybe i could add an option "accept solutions using less items" : yes/no

?
MrBeardy

Post by MrBeardy »

Might be the simplest way.

Return to “Reflection”