Solo mode - Challenges

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Tof63

Re: Solo mode - Challenges

Post by Tof63 »

I think I had the perfect example this weekend of why you have to accept solutions with fewer elements.

On the left of the screenshot is the solution that was expected to a puzzle and uses 20 elements.
On the right is the solution I found that uses only 19 elements.
If the game refuses me my solution, no kidding, I throw the computer out the window and stop playing :D

https://imgur.com/a/gLWuQzY
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

Tof63 wrote: 10 October 2022, 07:32I think I had the perfect example this weekend of why you have to accept solutions with fewer elements.

On the left of the screenshot is the solution that was expected to a puzzle and uses 20 elements.
If the game refuses me my solution, no kidding, I throw the computer out the window and stop playing :D

Bad example, just put a wall '/' in a3, and everything is still fine.
You have the 11 yellow on the left which have 2 solutions, and you have the right part which got 2 solutions. But one combinaison of those is wrong though really weird.

Your point look pretty rare. I don't have an opinion on that btw.

Pretty fun to see the 3 solutions though :D
Silene

Post by Silene »

Tof63 wrote: 10 October 2022, 07:32 I think I had the perfect example this weekend of why you have to accept solutions with fewer elements.

I don't understand romain's correction. But when you have used 19 elements but you have to use 20, then you just didn't find a solution yet. That doesn't mean you have to throw your pc out the window ;). It just means you might be very close to a solution and are not finished yet. So you can ask yourself "where can I put the missing tile?" or "which elements are not logically derived but just guessed by me and how can I change them to get closer?".
In your case, you can just put the missing tile (diagonal wall from bottom left to upper right) in the 5th cell top row and be done. Of course sometimes you'd have to change more.
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.
Tof63

Post by Tof63 »

You both found nearly the same solution in fact to add the missing item.
I'm still not convinced, but ok : I'll add an option to allow or not solutions using less elements.
But it will be allowed by default, because well, it's my damn game :mrgreen:
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

What about another mode?

No predefined set of components, just use whatever you want (ok, a maximum of 64 of each component). The solution using the fewest components wins (if tied, the one using the least time).
cigma

Post by cigma »

In the game description for the solo challenge difficulty 2 it says: "Complete 6 rounds to win (10 items min. and 15 minutes max. per round)" Does this mean, you may use 6 x 15 min. = 90 min. for this challenge?

Probably not. So I would suggest to change the description, maybe to "Solve 6 puzzles to win (10 items min. and 15 minutes max. per round)".

Same problem with difficulty 3: "Complete 10 rounds to win (15 items min. and 10 minutes max. per round)"
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
cheval_raye

Post by cheval_raye »

I am a bit late on the question to allow solutions with fewer elements or not, but I'd like to add a thing : if a puzzle has an element that never does its function (a mirror that never reflects a laser, or a black hole not absorbing), the puzzle shoould be reloaded. I came across this https://imgur.com/a/r4brrvq in a 5x5 grid with 20 elements, and there are 2 equal sign shaped mirrors in the 4th row that never reflect lasers because the paths all lead to another mirror
Tof63

Post by Tof63 »

Jellby wrote: 10 October 2022, 13:09 What about another mode?

No predefined set of components, just use whatever you want (ok, a maximum of 64 of each component). The solution using the fewest components wins (if tied, the one using the least time).
It's interresting, but for now I will stop adding big modifications, my goal is to get out of beta as soon as possible.
So maybe later :)
Tof63

Post by Tof63 »

cigma wrote: 11 October 2022, 06:56 In the game description for the solo challenge difficulty 2 it says: "Complete 6 rounds to win (10 items min. and 15 minutes max. per round)" Does this mean, you may use 6 x 15 min. = 90 min. for this challenge?

Probably not. So I would suggest to change the description, maybe to "Solve 6 puzzles to win (10 items min. and 15 minutes max. per round)".

Same problem with difficulty 3: "Complete 10 rounds to win (15 items min. and 10 minutes max. per round)"
You are 100% right.
By the way this is what I describe in the online rules. I will correct this in the next version.
Thanks !
Tof63

Post by Tof63 »

cheval_raye wrote: 11 October 2022, 10:15 I am a bit late on the question to allow solutions with fewer elements or not, but I'd like to add a thing : if a puzzle has an element that never does its function (a mirror that never reflects a laser, or a black hole not absorbing), the puzzle shoould be reloaded. I came across this https://imgur.com/a/r4brrvq in a 5x5 grid with 20 elements, and there are 2 equal sign shaped mirrors in the 4th row that never reflect lasers because the paths all lead to another mirror
This is already what is done, if an element is "hidden" as you described I consider the grid is not ok and I generate a new one.
And if the new grid is still not good, I start again.... with a maximum of 50 trials.
The case you came across is an extreme case: there are very few empty cells and it is much more complicated to find a grid without hidden elements. It can happen, but it's rare, and I can't overload the servers with calculations to find a grid without this defect, otherwise I'll be fired from the site :p

Return to “Reflection”