Remove translations (Wingspan)

BGA localization discussions
fruktansvärt

Remove translations (Wingspan)

Post by fruktansvärt »

Is there a way to remove translations, once they are entered?

I ask because of the Wingspan language specific bonus cards. Some bird names, for example Audouin's Gull and American Kestrel, count towards meeting bonus cards requirements (on Historian, Cartographer, Anatomist and Photographer). However, when translated, there is no longer a way to tell if a bird card counts toward a bonus card, as the translated names often no longer includes the elements the bonus cards reference.

In localized versions of Wingspan, the bonus cards reference different bird cards, but as the bonus cards here on BGA are English specific, translating them doesn't work with the game programming.

Now, there is an option to play without these four bonus cards, so that solves the problem if that option is chosen. However, wouldn't it be simpler to just leave the names untranslated? That way, all the bonus cards work, and potential confusion between players in different languages is averted. However, in some languages the bird names are already machine translated, which is why I ask if translations can be removed.

If there was room on the cards, we could enter both the English name and the translated name, but that seems like an ugly solution.
Last edited by fruktansvärt on 12 September 2022, 19:56, edited 1 time in total.
Nessi

Re: Remove translations

Post by Nessi »

I had the same problem for the German translation (see German translation forum).

I'm afraid the problem won't be so easy to solve, especially when players of different languages play together.

And from a programming point of view (not that I know anything about it), I think it would be difficult to solve the problem. You would have to programme an option for each language that regulates the allocation of the birds - very time-consuming :-(.

I think it would be a pity to leave out the translation altogether. I, for example, am very interested in nature and find it exciting to read the names of the birds.

One possibility might be to mark the cards with a symbol (+mouseover) so that you know which bonus type they are assigned to.
fruktansvärt

Post by fruktansvärt »

I suppose we could add a parenthesis after the bird names with a letter for the relevant bonus cards?
Historian (H), Cartographer (C), Anatomist (A), Photographer (P)

So American Kestrel would be Sparvfalk (C)
and Red-Necked Avocet would be Australisk skärfläcka (A)(P)
(I'm using Swedish bird names here)

looks like about 320 bird cards are affected, using this list:
https://navarog.github.io/wingsearch/

An explanation would need to be added to the bonus cards, also.
ufm

Re: Remove translations (Wingspan)

Post by ufm »

https://www.boardgamearena.com/bug?id=69812

Please upvote and add comments there.
IMO 4 cards must be excluded as the default option, instead of disabling card name translations.
fruktansvärt wrote: 12 September 2022, 19:25
Korean version excluded Historian and added a bonus card of 'bird names of 3 letters or less'. Really.
Mizio66

Post by Mizio66 »

That would not solve the scoring part, unless complemented with a change in the code…
fruktansvärt wrote: 12 September 2022, 19:25 I suppose we could add a parenthesis after the bird names with a letter for the relevant bonus cards?
Historian (H), Cartographer (C), Anatomist (A), Photographer (P)

So American Kestrel would be Sparvfalk (C)
and Red-Necked Avocet would be Australisk skärfläcka (A)(P)
(I'm using Swedish bird names here)

looks like about 320 bird cards are affected, using this list:
https://navarog.github.io/wingsearch/

An explanation would need to be added to the bonus cards, also.
ahyangyi

Post by ahyangyi »

Would it be possible for BGA to add in the scoring conditions of different language editions of Wingspan?

It would be interesting for me to occasionally play the German scoring condition, for example, as long as the translation is done to help me make decisions :O
rexroom

Post by rexroom »

I don't know what your solutions are, but in the Finnish side I solved this by adding to the specific bonus cards that the cards refer to the English version names. I mean, you can still see the original English text on the cards. And that's basically the best one can do, other than just removing the bonus cards in question.
silkkii

Post by silkkii »

This isn't specific to Wingspan now but would love to have option to pick the language per game on in-game settings.

Many less popular games seem to have really mixed amount of translated lines, making the gameplay experience quite bad in these games. Would love to opt out for translation but only for select games.

Before someone suggests some profile wide preference for "only use your preferred language for fully translated games", this wouldn't really work that well because many games still have fully functional translation for the game itself, but might lack translations for the game description, tutorial or game settings.
fruktansvärt

Post by fruktansvärt »

you can write "&lang=en" at the end of a table URL to change the table language to english. substitute other language codes as required.

Return to “Translations”