Site runs slower than it used to

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Rautz

Site runs slower than it used to

Post by Rautz »

I used to play a lot on this site between Feb-Apr this year - the site would load in an instant.
Now I came back to play, and the site is running much slower than usual, for example when I go to https://boardgamearena.com/lobby, it takes 21 seconds to load, after 15 seconds I get Page Unresponsive from Google Chrome, and then another 6 seconds for the actual page to load

Is there some kind of problem with the site, or maybe I have a problem on my end with Chrome? (my Internet connection I believe is very good, so I don't think the problem is there)

Thank you
Meeplelowda

Re: Site runs slower than it used to

Post by Meeplelowda »

Rautz wrote: 16 September 2022, 20:17 I used to play a lot on this site between Feb-Apr this year - the site would load in an instant.
Now I came back to play, and the site is running much slower than usual, for example when I go to https://boardgamearena.com/lobby, it takes 21 seconds to load, after 15 seconds I get Page Unresponsive from Google Chrome, and then another 6 seconds for the actual page to load

Is there some kind of problem with the site, or maybe I have a problem on my end with Chrome? (my Internet connection I believe is very good, so I don't think the problem is there)

Thank you
I've been noticing the same thing for a couple weeks, but did not see anyone else complaining, so I thought it was just me. I've considered all the usual remedies, such as clearing cache, and have speed tested my connection and it is as speedy as usual (90-100 Mbps). I am also using Chrome.

Ed.: Actually, between yesterday and today, things seem to be back to normal for me. I hadn't tried playing yet today.
MoshiMoshee

Post by MoshiMoshee »

Hi everyone,
Same here. For the past 3 weeks or so the loading time of the lobby is beyond 20 sec. Starting a new game always generates a down time. I am being constantly disconnected and reconnected so just wanted to know if there's any problem at the server level?

Thanks
M.
Han Shot First

Post by Han Shot First »

MoshiMoshee wrote: 17 September 2022, 11:03 Hi everyone,
Same here. For the past 3 weeks or so the loading time of the lobby is beyond 20 sec. Starting a new game always generates a down time. I am being constantly disconnected and reconnected so just wanted to know if there's any problem at the server level?

Thanks
M.
I'm experiencing the exact same issues as you describe, since returning from my summer break around three weeks ago. Fairly sure it is a site wide issue as I have the same problem on difference devices and at different locations using different ISP. Mainly it is just a bit inconvenient, but it makes it impossible to start some arena games because waiting for an opponent times out after a minute when the disconnect/reconnect happens.

https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=71588
https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=71322
dgjxqz

Post by dgjxqz »

My guess is you may have too many games in your favotiyr list or you may have played too many types of games.
Wonder if the new lobby page addresses this problem ...
Rautz

Post by Rautz »

dgjxqz wrote: 18 September 2022, 04:36 My guess is you may have too many games in your favotiyr list or you may have played too many types of games.
Wonder if the new lobby page addresses this problem ...
You're right about that, I did play a few hundreds of games, and it may be why not many other players experience this problem.

But the same number of games I had in my lobby a few months ago, and the site had no problems with the loading - so something strange did happen - and from what others say, it happened about 3 weeks ago
Shobu

Post by Shobu »

dgjxqz wrote: 18 September 2022, 04:36 My guess is you may have too many games in your favotiyr list or you may have played too many types of games.
That may be the problem, i have very few favorited games (~10), but a huge list of 250 different already played which is useless to me and seems to make the whole process dragging (maybe having a way to only display games name? but no illustration)
Raul4ever

Post by Raul4ever »

Its painfully slow these days. As a paid user with a year's subscription, the site load times now is equivalent to sitting through 30 seconds to start a game. So, i don't get the point of paying for a subscription. :?: I have found myself spending less time on the website these days.
Han Shot First

Post by Han Shot First »

Yes, I'm unlikely to renew while the site is not working properly
HeathenWeb

Post by HeathenWeb »

Same issue for me here in Italy in the last two/three weeks

Return to “Discussions”