Karma is a major problem and too easy to fix.

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
MrBeardy

Re: Karma is a major problem and too easy to fix.

Post by MrBeardy »

if option 4 it needs to be for TB only and for *repetitive* going over, not one-offs, and for significant going over, not minor deviation of a few seconds or <5% of the time period.
Remkar

Post by Remkar »

MrBeardy wrote: 23 September 2022, 18:00 if option 4 it needs to be for TB only and for *repetitive* going over, not one-offs, and for significant going over, not minor deviation of a few seconds or <5% of the time period.
I disagree. If people are just going over once here and there, they should stay in the 85-95 range anyway, so it won't hurt them much, but they clearly aren't "perfect" if they are doing that, so they shouldn't be at 100.

The whole point of this is stop the ceiling effect and spread people's ratings out more so that the ratings at the top are actually useful. If we only do it in extreme circumstances, it won't be much better than the current karma system.
MrBeardy

Post by MrBeardy »

you and i are not going to agree.
Remkar

Post by Remkar »

MrBeardy wrote: 24 September 2022, 00:23 you and i are not going to agree.
I agree. ;)
Dr L3cter

Post by Dr L3cter »

Just to add some perspective here, this is what I see can happen and is really the problem:

1. I play a game with friends, we play real-time, but I go over by 1 second. Results in 10 point loss, even though no one at table cared and it's only 1 Second! - I don't think I should get penalized if all players are ok with it. Maybe they need to vote to drop a persons karma at end of game for being over timer Auto-penalization for late game isn't fair in these circumstances. I played a Real-Time game with a new player the other day, went over time consistently because I was showing him how to play and explaining the game. I got a ton of neg karma. OK - I know I should have selected turn-based - but I also think the system should allow leniency and not be so draconic in it's punishments.

2. Karma is only easy to gain if I play short games. I don't want to play a bunch of 2p 15 min games just for karma. I can play a 90 minute game and only get 1 karma. Karma adds should scale with time played in game (if i'm not late). I should get 4x Karma for a game that took 4x time to play. I do agree that there should be a kap on new karma per day, if that's a problem.

3. People who go over their time limits, are able to gain karma by killing the game when another player goes over. I had a game with a guy in China, who clearly had some internet issues. All 3 other players (including myself) were timely, and also were nice to allow him to go 3-4 min over consistently. As soon as I was over by like 30-40 seconds, that player initiated a vote to end game. You shouldn't be able to vote to end game because someone is over-time, if you have been over-time that game as well.

4. The system should allow some leeway. IMO, (karma point docking aside) you shouldn't be able to kick a player/end the game if they don't meet at least one of the following
- Multiple late turns OR
- Single late turn where you are 100% over timer or you are over time by 3 minutes; whichever is less (for real time); or something similar to this, different rules for turn-based

I also think the karma hits for being a min late in Arena games that have 30+ minute queues is unfair. Arena games need to have an Accept option (without showing other players names, so people can't dodge good players).

IMO - The changes above would solve a lot of problems. I don't think this system is very friendly or forgiving. Honestly I think it's more toxic the way people kick/end games for short over-time issues, than it is to wait 2 min for a person.
FSKFSK

Post by FSKFSK »

If you timeout in a game, it is only a 1 point karma penalty.

It is a 10 point penalty only if the other players kick you for running out of time, or if you quit the game.

Return to “Suggestions”