Turn-based: Needing to take actions in between turns

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
pitze

Turn-based: Needing to take actions in between turns

Post by pitze »

In the turn-based version of the game play, I have found it very challenging when your turn is interrupted because another player needs to take an action, usually in response to one of your cards being activated (selecting food from the feeder or placing an egg, for example).

Is it possible to implement "between turn" preferences at the end of each turn so that this doesn't prevent the current player from completing their turn?

To do so, the game would evaluate any potential actions that could happen between the end of your current turn and the beginning of your next turn (such as bird activations that provide a benefit to all players) and would ask you to select your preferences before you wrap up your current turn.

Something like:
- In the event that player XYZ activates their ABC bird which gives all players a choice of food from the feeder, please rank your food item preferences. You will be given your highest choice that is available at that time.
OR
- In the event that player XYZ plays a bird in <habitat>, which grants you an egg on any <nest type>, where would you like to place that egg?

If no actions like this are possible between turns, the question is not asked. If there are cards on others' boards that could be activated or played that would cause you to make a choice, you should be able to provide your 1st/2nd/3rd choices.

Any action that requires you to accept a food/egg/card, but that does not require a choice should be handled automatically in your absence.
paramesis

Re: Turn-based: Needing to take actions in between turns

Post by paramesis »

This has been suggested here: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=71923
I am also considering it in relation to this suggestion: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=70377

The groundwork for this feature is already in place, and I plan to have it working in an upcoming release.
pjt33

Post by pjt33 »

Note that there are still going to be scenarios which you can't decide in advance. E.g. you might be given a card by someone else's ability and then have the option to tuck a card as a reaction to someone else's action. In that case, the decision requires you to know what the card you received was.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

Your choice of food may also depend on the cards available in the tray, and those can change between the end of your turn and the time your "between turns" action happens.
Madlaine

Post by Madlaine »

Would be Nice also to clearly tells the 'interupting' player what's actually going on, when you are the first player picking food from humingbird for instance, it's hard to guess you did not missclicked your food action.
bananasplay

Post by bananasplay »

Madlaine wrote: 22 September 2022, 09:20 Would be Nice also to clearly tells the 'interupting' player what's actually going on, when you are the first player picking food from humingbird for instance, it's hard to guess you did not missclicked your food action.
I've been thinking about this, as well. I finally collected my thoughts and wrote up a suggestion to this end. Please have a look and consider upvoting it: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=72417
Please check my profile for a list of bugs that need upvotes so that BGA will maybe get around to fixing them.
Wallenstein

Post by Wallenstein »

I would like to see some automatisation, like "take one particular food", or "hunt" or choices that are only click to confirm.

Return to “Wingspan”