Please Penalize People Who Quit Games By "Conceding"

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
MrBeardy

Re: Please Penalize People Who Quit Games By "Conceding"

Post by MrBeardy »

Sheba-leila wrote: 23 September 2022, 14:38 Früher war ein aufgeben nur möglich wenn der Gegner zustimmen. Ich möchte mein Spiel auch zu Ende spielen ob Sieg oder nicht. Man kann auch daraus lernen es besser zu machen. Ich finde es respektlos gegenüber den anderen Spieler.
it can be, or it can be a mark of respect "ok you got me, well done" which is how it's viewed in chess for example. It depends on context. People conceding in final play is annoying. People conceding part way through a game? Well maybe they had a good reason to bail. Seriously how much is this happening to people? I get it very rarely and just red thumb the player if I think they were out of line.
Veggie Ninja

Post by Veggie Ninja »

MrBeardy wrote: 23 September 2022, 10:34
Veggie Ninja wrote: 23 September 2022, 03:56 As another (probably better) option - make is so that a player can request to concede the game, but their opponent has to accept the concession. That way if they both feel like it's over and they don't want to play out the last turn they can easily end the game without penalty. But if one of the players wants to get to finish the game they both committed to playing to, they have the option to deny the concession request and finish the game.
The whole point of being able to concede is to take it out of the other person's hands. Otherwise you end up with the abort situation where you say "i have an emergency, the kid's just puked over the TV, please can we abort" and the miserable person who cares too much for their ELO (read inadequate size compensation) declines. The other person is automatically awarded full ELO when someone concedes. The balance is fine.
That's not how it's used most of the time though, and I don't care about the ELO. I care about being able to finish game I commit to playing. It happens when we've been playing a whole game, but when the last round starts and the final tiles in Castles of Burgundy are shown, and the tile they were hoping would be delt out wasn't delt out so they concede the game. Or it's the very last turn and it will all be over in 5-10 more seconds, and they concede then rather than let the final move be finished. I don't know if they want to have a lower ELO or what their motivation is, but when you concede a 30 min game with only 5-10 seconds left in it so your opponent cant see their final score, there's no other way to describe it but rude and disrespectful.
Veggie Ninja

Post by Veggie Ninja »

MrBeardy wrote: 23 September 2022, 17:45
Sheba-leila wrote: 23 September 2022, 14:38 Früher war ein aufgeben nur möglich wenn der Gegner zustimmen. Ich möchte mein Spiel auch zu Ende spielen ob Sieg oder nicht. Man kann auch daraus lernen es besser zu machen. Ich finde es respektlos gegenüber den anderen Spieler.
it can be, or it can be a mark of respect "ok you got me, well done" which is how it's viewed in chess for example. It depends on context. People conceding in final play is annoying. People conceding part way through a game? Well maybe they had a good reason to bail. Seriously how much is this happening to people? I get it very rarely and just red thumb the player if I think they were out of line.
It's already happened to me multiple times since I made this posting - if it was a rare occurrence it wouldn't be as big a deal, but I find it happens fairly frequently.
Veggie Ninja

Post by Veggie Ninja »

Thank you, I agree.
MrBeardy

Post by MrBeardy »

I dont play that game but if it's last turn ditching then yeah i can see that's annoying. People do it in race for the galaxy every now and then and it is a shame but the game is short enough I guess to lessen the blow. If your one is a long game then yes, it does seem disrespectful. A game option to block on conceding in that game or when game end nearly complete/finishing criteria triggered would seem to stop this without affecting other aspects of conceding etc on the site more widely/other games where it is needed. It would also do it via preventative rather than punitive measures, the former usually being preferable, and more palatable, than the latter.
megamau

Post by megamau »

I'm totally against penalties for conceding.
Actually we should add the possibility to concede also in tournament games!
It is painfull for both players to play a game of xianqi/chess/checkers whose result is already clear to both.

I applaud the coder of Hex for "circumventing" the mistake in site setup.

Please note that I'm talking only about two-players game. I have no opinion on multiplayers games.
Veggie Ninja

Post by Veggie Ninja »

MrBeardy wrote: 23 September 2022, 22:25 I dont play that game but if it's last turn ditching then yeah i can see that's annoying. People do it in race for the galaxy every now and then and it is a shame but the game is short enough I guess to lessen the blow. If your one is a long game then yes, it does seem disrespectful. A game option to block on conceding in that game or when game end nearly complete/finishing criteria triggered would seem to stop this without affecting other aspects of conceding etc on the site more widely/other games where it is needed. It would also do it via preventative rather than punitive measures, the former usually being preferable, and more palatable, than the latter.
That's the way it happens the most often for me, at the very end of a longer game, and it seems to happen almost every day, so thank you for understanding my annoyance. I would prefer preventative measures also!
Shivaware

Post by Shivaware »

Veggie Ninja wrote: 24 September 2022, 04:27
MrBeardy wrote: 23 September 2022, 22:25 I dont play that game but if it's last turn ditching then yeah i can see that's annoying. People do it in race for the galaxy every now and then and it is a shame but the game is short enough I guess to lessen the blow. If your one is a long game then yes, it does seem disrespectful. A game option to block on conceding in that game or when game end nearly complete/finishing criteria triggered would seem to stop this without affecting other aspects of conceding etc on the site more widely/other games where it is needed. It would also do it via preventative rather than punitive measures, the former usually being preferable, and more palatable, than the latter.
That's the way it happens the most often for me, at the very end of a longer game, and it seems to happen almost every day, so thank you for understanding my annoyance. I would prefer preventative measures also!
You've been a member since Aug 11th and in your 626 games so far, there have only been 9 games that have been conceded. The last two concessions have been on consecutive days, but looking at your whole record, it really does not seem to happen almost every day.

Of those conceded games, I only know Castles of Burgundy. In those 7 conceded games, it's clear that you were going to win them all, even in the one where the other player had a higher score than you.

All of those games were fast real-time games, which I would never play. It does seem odd for players to concede on the final round in such a game, but maybe there are players that play so quickly, even those minutes waiting will seem like an eternity.

I would say that conceded games are a relatively infrequent experience, and it's probably best to take them for what the are: an acknowledgement from your opponent that you have won.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

Shivaware wrote: 24 September 2022, 16:44You've been a member since Aug 11th and in your 626 games so far, there have only been 9 games that have been conceded. The last two concessions have been on consecutive days, but looking at your whole record, it really does not seem to happen almost every day.
When people exaggerate they lose a lot of credibility. It is reminiscent of the threads in which someone complains about how unlucky they are in a game, then someone links to that person's stats showing that in fact they get better rolls than they should on average.

Anyway, I'll just refer to the numerous other threads on conceding. I guess formal tournament chess is not as popular as it once was (despite the popularity of "The Queen's Gambit") and some people are never going to understand this concept.
Scorptress

Post by Scorptress »

It’s not disrespectful, not always anyway. I concede games like backgammon when I’ve obviously lost to avoid going through the motions of clearing each disc from the board. It takes forever & feels unnecessary. Honestly, conceding is a courtesy to my opponent. There are always different perspectives, so I choose to not take anything personal, while being as considerate as possible.

Return to “Suggestions”