Please Penalize People Who Quit Games By "Conceding"

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
KongKing123

Re: Please Penalize People Who Quit Games By "Conceding"

Post by KongKing123 »

A short "no" is enough of an answer for this nonsense suggestion.
ViennaManInCA

Post by ViennaManInCA »

Agreed. If you cannot win mathematically anymore I prefer to move on.
Wiking44

Post by Wiking44 »

Some people play for competition and not just fun and some of the games on BGA are geared for the fun crowd everyone has their own views on this but I do not mind if my opponent concedes the game now its time for the next one
mOCHU035

Post by mOCHU035 »

Why would you torture someone to play past a point where there is no point playing a certain game?
ChiefPointThief

Post by ChiefPointThief »

MrBeardy wrote: 23 September 2022, 10:34
Veggie Ninja wrote: 23 September 2022, 03:56 As another (probably better) option - make is so that a player can request to concede the game, but their opponent has to accept the concession. That way if they both feel like it's over and they don't want to play out the last turn they can easily end the game without penalty. But if one of the players wants to get to finish the game they both committed to playing to, they have the option to deny the concession request and finish the game.
The whole point of being able to concede is to take it out of the other person's hands. Otherwise you end up with the abort situation where you say "i have an emergency, the kid's just puked over the TV, please can we abort" and the miserable person who cares too much for their ELO (read inadequate size compensation) declines. The other person is automatically awarded full ELO when someone concedes. The balance is fine.
95% of the time these "emergencies" happen to a losing player right after things aren't going their way. I try to stay away from long games now but i would see this a lot in terra mystica from players who didn't get the start they wanted. I've heard it all from their job being at risk to problems at the kids school and when someone at the table refused to abandon collectively those same people with emergencies stayed and played 60+ min. Now any losing player that makes such claims looks suspicious. I have been in situations though when something popped up right after i joined a long game and people refused even though it just started which is ridiculous.
Last edited by ChiefPointThief on 24 December 2022, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
ChiefPointThief

Post by ChiefPointThief »

I can understand wanting to finish the game if it is played over several rounds and you were accumulating resources or building to something and want to execute it (I've only played agricola and terra mystica that would fit this description). Other than that once there is no way for my opponent to win I wouldn't mind if they conceded asap. I don't need to play it out and win by 1000 points. Whether it is a long game like monopoly or a short game like bubblee pop.
jeannette 1

Post by jeannette 1 »

Keeping on playing while you know you have already lost is just torture.
If it pleases you to see somebody agonising , the problem is yours
Col Rosenberg

Post by Col Rosenberg »

Topic: Quit Games By "Conceding." Players who consistently Quit the "game," using the Concede option.
Like in Chess - concede means you've thought something through, you've recognized it as true, just or proper; you've admitted it...that's not giving up, it's not quitting in the way we normally think.

Quitting in the middle of a game is and always will be considered "Bad Sportsmanship."
Here at BGA I have experienced opponents that have just up and left the game without so much as a word.
Opponents trying to convince me to quit, [them] knowing I have already lost - what a way to facilitate a deeper level of learning:
Opponents, quitting a game before it even starts...not wishing to continue the match.

Quitting is stopping a commitment!

I wish BGA would stop encouraging Quitters.
Osnofaac

Post by Osnofaac »

BGA gives you the tools (red thumb) to avoid such players. You don't need to penalize someone for using a legit option just because you don't like it. You can just filter those users out of your pool of potential players.
Nappywars

Post by Nappywars »

You don't need to penalize someone for using a legit option just because you don't like it.
You're missing the point. Do you like it when somebody (loser) quits a game on the last turn of a four-player game?
Keeping on playing while you know you have already lost is just torture.
One out of one die, yet we keep on playing? Have you ever Won a game that you thought you should have lost? There is conceding then there is quitting.

Return to “Suggestions”