Turn-Based Games: Hours?

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
J-Man43

Turn-Based Games: Hours?

Post by J-Man43 »

I'm confused about how turn-based games are set up. There are numerous options regarding the number of moves per day, and then some of them require you to put a timeframe (hours) when those moves need to occur. First of all--what time zone is being used? And second: while there's an option for 24 hours, it's always grayed out. Is there some reason you can't set up a turn-based game that requires say 8 or 10 moves per day and doesn't have restriction based on hours? If there is, I can't figure out how to do it. Thanks for any help.
Jest Phulin

Re: Turn-Based Games: Hours?

Post by Jest Phulin »

Time displayed on this site is usually in local time, not any particular time zone. About the only place it isn't is forum postings. Game playing hours and tournaments are definitely in local time. A call to getTimezoneOffset() (or something similar)is used when displaying times.

As far as 8+ moves a day and 24 hour playing time, this would not allow any time to sleep. 8 moves a day would be a move every 3 hours. While gaming is life, sleep is also important. :)
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

To elaborate, you set playing times in your local time, and others will see them in their local time. So if you set it 9:00 to 21:00, someone in a different timezone may see it as 22:00 to 10:00, and decide not to join because they don't want to play at night.
J-Man43

Post by J-Man43 »

Thank you for your help. I understand the time zone issue now. However, I'm still not understanding the "24 hours" thing. When you set up a turn-based game, the "playing hours" option is only shown for games with 8, 12, and 24 moves per day. But in all three, the 24 hours option is grayed out. So what's the point of that option even existing if it's not available for ANY situation? (The playing hours option isn't even available for any of the other turn-based game setups.)
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

My guess is it's just the value for slower turn-based games, but we don't see it because the option is hidden. When you select a fast turn-based setting, the option is displayed, but that value is greyed out. Maybe it's not technically possible/easy to completely hide that item in the list.

Return to “Discussions”