Collecting match/round-based statistics

Game development with Board Game Arena Studio
salty-horse

Collecting match/round-based statistics

Post by salty-horse »

BGA's system allows for collecting key-value statistics only on a game basis (for the whole game, or for individual players in the whole game).

I'm implementing a trick-taking game that involves a series of matches that are independent from each other.
Some of the things players (and the designer) would like to know are specific to the match, like how the strength of the hand you're dealt affects your chances to win the match. It's not something that's very interesting when aggregated for the whole game, which is what BGA supports.

1) Are there plans on introducing round-based statistics to BGA?
2) If I save it in an extra table, is it possible to extract game history in bulk for analysis?
3) Do you know of any other games that implemented such statistics and displayed them to players?
Tisaac

Re: Collecting match/round-based statistics

Post by Tisaac »

salty-horse wrote: 30 September 2022, 20:05 BGA's system allows for collecting key-value statistics only on a game basis (for the whole game, or for individual players in the whole game).

I'm implementing a trick-taking game that involves a series of matches that are independent from each other.
Some of the things players (and the designer) would like to know are specific to the match, like how the strength of the hand you're dealt affects your chances to win the match. It's not something that's very interesting when aggregated for the whole game, which is what BGA supports.

1) Are there plans on introducing round-based statistics to BGA?
2) If I save it in an extra table, is it possible to extract game history in bulk for analysis?
3) Do you know of any other games that implemented such statistics and displayed them to players?
1) Why don't you simply create 1 stat for each round ?
2) Nope, only stats persists
salty-horse

Post by salty-horse »

1) Why don't you simply create 1 stat for each round ?
There's a variable number of rounds in the game (until someone reaches a target score).
I can hardcode stats up to the maximum number of rounds, haven't decided if I should :)
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

an average per round?
and /or the first X rounds.

There is the legacy data to persist data between games, but not sure if this is its intended use.
salty-horse

Post by salty-horse »

"average per round" isn't very useful, since they are not connected to each other. The interesting data about game balance, etc, is more easily understood when looking at an individual round's various statistics as a group.

Return to “Developers”