Drafting should get more time

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Gaskell146

Drafting should get more time

Post by Gaskell146 »

Hi all,

Would be great if there was an option to allow more time for the drafting part of the game. Players who don't know every card off by heart and which cards play well together have to rush there selections, which then leads to a poor result.

Cheers all, would be interested to hear peoples experience or views.

Regards

Gaskell
gsmatthijs

Re: Drafting should get more time

Post by gsmatthijs »

in my experience, if you just post that you need a bit more time in the chat, it is fine. You can also play slower formats or practice mode to learn?
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

So what you would want instead is kinda an option to add X more time for any turn once.

That's kinda what happen in poker's turn. You got a bank time let's said 3min. And you have 15s to do any action of the game. When your 15s end, you start to lose time from those 3min.

Bga instead have a time bank which refill over time but which got a maxium. I'm unsure of the motivation of it. That force everyone to play every turn faster but meh.

Alternatively, making the developper be able to add more time for specific sections of the game could work too.
I think one of the best example would be the crew. You got some missions where commander has like 20 actions to do during his turns. If he is commander twice or thrice in a row, that's really hard to keep a positive clock. Same for actions which require commun discussion. You kinda use your time bank to let others discuss. Which feel bad.
Ranior

Post by Ranior »

I agree that you want to take your time in the draft, but I disagree that the draft should be given more time. You already have lots of timer options when joining games, if you want more time you can pick slow game speeds and it should be fine. You also can choose to make games where you are not drafting both occupations and minors at the same time, which can help reduce how much you need to read and decided between and then the current timer settings are manageable.

I will agree the only issue is if you ever play 10-7 games where you get 20 total cards and have to drop down to your 14 card hand, those are really hard in real time.

Unfortunately I've talked with the developers on this early on in testing, and there is no option to make the draft take longer. BGA's framework doesn't allow for different timer settings on different turns at all easily, so unfortunately we are left with this system where we have to pick a time setting that makes sense for the majority of the game (the action selection part) but perhaps makes the draft go by a bit speedy.

Return to “Agricola”