Conceding 2 player games

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
GeraldineMerida

Re: Conceding 2 player games

Post by GeraldineMerida »

My background is not in chess, and I definitely dislike when opponents concede (and would red thumb anyone who did so without asking first).

It's not about watching my opponent 'hobble', but about seeing myself win by the biggest score or margin possible (and occasionally about wanting to play the endgame).

It doesn't really matter if you find my motivation valid or petty: you sign up to play a whole game, not whatever part of it you can get through before you feel you are wasting your valuable time, and you should follow through on that commitment unless your opponent agrees it's unnecessary.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

GeraldineMerida wrote: 04 October 2022, 18:44you sign up to play a whole game, not whatever part of it you can get through before you feel you are wasting your valuable time, and you should follow through on that commitment unless your opponent agrees it's unnecessary.
I understand your point, but conceding a 2-player game is part of the "rules" of the game, part of what you sign up for: play a whole game, that can be ended at any moment (after 50%) by conceding. That's why there is no penalty. You also "sign up" for that ;)

Personally, I think some games can be enjoyed just by playing them, even if there is no chance to win (or if one thinks so), while others lose all appeal once victory is not possible. Conversely, some games can be enjoyed even after the opponent has been beaten, others are just automatic and dull. Which is which is a personal matter too. I really don't care much if an opponent resigns, even if I'd like to play the game to end, I just think "oh, well", and move on.

I also resign from time to time, because I have a losing position (either for sure, or with very little chance to win) and don't enjoy playing more, or because I have an emergency, or because I just can't be bothered to play the rest of the game and prefer to give up. You're free to red-thumb me too, of course.
frogstar_A

Post by frogstar_A »

GeraldineMerida wrote: 04 October 2022, 18:44 My background is not in chess, and I definitely dislike when opponents concede (and would red thumb anyone who did so without asking first).

It's not about watching my opponent 'hobble', but about seeing myself win by the biggest score or margin possible (and occasionally about wanting to play the endgame).

It doesn't really matter if you find my motivation valid or petty: you sign up to play a whole game, not whatever part of it you can get through before you feel you are wasting your valuable time, and you should follow through on that commitment unless your opponent agrees it's unnecessary.
I have a chess background and I will concede a 2 player game if there's a lot of time still to go but no way for me to win. If people don't like that they can red thumb me and that's fine - that's one of the reasons the red thumb is there so that we can all play people who play games the same way we like to.

The only thing I find rude is people who concede games that have very little time to run - for example in yahtzee when I only have one roll left. Surely no ones time is so valuable they can wait 15 seconds whilst I complete the game? But if someone wants to concede on turn 8 of the 13 turn game then that's up to them.

Return to “Discussions”