Players conceding the game

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Nansquee

Players conceding the game

Post by Nansquee »

I have played two games recently in which the other player conceded. The first was with two turns remaining, and my victory was likely, but NOT a given. The second one was only about four turns in after I got a Yahtzee.

What is this about - why is it allowed? I have not played that many different games on BGA, but so far I have not seen it in any other games. There are times where I can see that the other player(s) is likely to win, but I play it out.

What's up?
Jellby

Re: Players conceding the game

Post by Jellby »

You can always resign (concede) a 2-player game when its progress is 50% or more. Nothing special about Yahtzee.
LizzieKate88

Post by LizzieKate88 »

I just had someone concede today after I got a second yahtzee. I'm not sure why anyone would do that? Does it keep the other player from losing some karma points or something if they concede rather than lose?
MrBeardy

Post by MrBeardy »

No it just stops them wasting their time. Can't win, or probability of winning small? Why not concede? Don't take it personally I see it as the other person saying "you got me". There are games I've played out, games I've conceded, games I wanted to play out where someone else conceded. It's just life. Sometimes it's as simple as someone needing to pee and being glad for a way to end early. Or the baby's just woken up. Or there's a delivery man at the door. etc etc.
RobertBr

Post by RobertBr »

LizzieKate88 wrote: 21 October 2022, 02:46 I just had someone concede today after I got a second yahtzee. I'm not sure why anyone would do that? Does it keep the other player from losing some karma points or something if they concede rather than lose?
No, its exactly the same as losing at the end of the game (this is not true if they time out, which is different). Its perfectly normal to concede lost games, and BGA allows players to do so after a game is at least one half complete. If your personal experience of playing games is limited I can see how it seems odd but what you are describing seems like a reasonable concession point (similar to blundering a minor piece in Chess, for example).
RPGsquare

Post by RPGsquare »

It's very unpleasant to concede the game this way. It's not playing, it's consummating game. I don't like this.
I understand if it's for an emergency IRL but not if I or the other person is losing. It's just be a sore loser.

And less important it's skewing statistics in the game.
frogstar_A

Post by frogstar_A »

I have no problem with people conceding the game say 70% through if they are losing badly. Resigning in chess is common, to save time, why not yahtzee too?

It annoys me when people concede with just one roll left. Let's just finish it! Only seconds of time are saved
Rhini

Post by Rhini »

frogstar_A wrote: 25 January 2023, 23:12 I have no problem with people conceding the game say 70% through if they are losing badly. Resigning in chess is common, to save time, why not yahtzee too?

It annoys me when people concede with just one roll left. Let's just finish it! Only seconds of time are saved
Well, it happened to me today, the points of difference was not that big, but it was the last roll in the game, I would have earned 50 points with Yahtzee and right before I got the 50 points they conceded.
As I am not an old player here, I guess it was just to avoid them to lose more ranking. To me earn more. It happened in the last second of the game.
And it is really annoying if it is true.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

Rhini wrote: 31 March 2023, 18:29 As I am not an old player here, I guess it was just to avoid them to lose more ranking.
That might have been the intent, but it doesn't work like that. Their ranking (and yours) was affected in exactly the same way as if the game had been finished.
Rhini

Post by Rhini »

Jellby wrote: 31 March 2023, 19:08
Rhini wrote: 31 March 2023, 18:29 As I am not an old player here, I guess it was just to avoid them to lose more ranking.
That might have been the intent, but it doesn't work like that. Their ranking (and yours) was affected in exactly the same way as if the game had been finished.
I guessed the intention.. but I do not really get how we earn ranking points. So far I believed the more difference in points we have, the more points we earn (so other lose)?

Return to “Yahtzee”