about turn order

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Knockando

about turn order

Post by Knockando »

"turn order determinate before selecting tickets" is very interesting, because sometimes you don't choose the same tickets with or without start.

BUT CURRENTLY YOU KNOW BEFORE ACCEPTING THE GAME WHO WILL HAVE THE START. And some players leave at this point because they won't play first.
When you have to "decline" or "accept" a game, player who will start is on left and player who will play second is on right of screen.
thoun

Re: about turn order

Post by thoun »

There is no link between the option and the "accept game screen".
I didn't know this screen was showing the turn order, to be honest. The option is mostly designed for competitive play (tournaments and maybe next season Arena).
MadManMark

Post by MadManMark »

I didn't realize this, but now played a few games watching for it, yep it's true. I wonder if this explains a few things I've noticed: 1) I felt like I was going last in two player a lot, but figured it was either bad luck or I imagined it, and 2) a couple times I have seen the same player matched for a game with me, sometimes they would accept and sometimes cancel, I couldn't figure out why they were mercurial.

I agree you should fix this. HOWEVER (and even if you don't), please display somewhere on the game display itself who will go first, if it is determined before play starts. It really does make a difference which tickets you keep sometimes, and I haven't seen any other way to find out who goes first? (that's actually been my biggest frustration with the implementation so far). Even if you don't fix the reveal at the accept/decline screen, please consider adding some kind of indication on the starting game board during ticket drawing, since if you are in arena mode the acceptance is automatic, and my focus is sometimes away from the countdown screen while the 3-4 second counter ticks down to board opening.
SwHawk

Post by SwHawk »

This is an issue over which thoun has no control over. What is displayed on the loading screen of the game is controlled by the BGA framework, and game developers have no control over the information displayed on that screen. Also, turn order is determined randomly in the instant between the table admin effectively starts the game and the loading screen. Again this is a process handled by the BGA framework and not the game developper...
thoun

Post by thoun »

SwHawk wrote: 06 October 2022, 19:35 This is an issue over which thoun has no control over. What is displayed on the loading screen of the game is controlled by the BGA framework, and game developers have no control over the information displayed on that screen. Also, turn order is determined randomly in the instant between the table admin effectively starts the game and the loading screen. Again this is a process handled by the BGA framework and not the game developper...
That's true!
MadManMark wrote: 06 October 2022, 18:25 I haven't seen any other way to find out who goes first?
There is a table option to show that, but it's disabled by default (for simple mode). It's mostly designed for competitive games (tournaments).
fruktansvärt

Post by fruktansvärt »

I never realized. The order of the players in the loading screen is the same as the turn order?

How much difference does it make, really? Is it mostly relevant in two-player games?
Is it the single track between Nashville—Atlanta everybody's fighting over?
davidb9

Post by davidb9 »

No you never fight for à single but you plan your combination in 9 10 or11 turn. 11 turn is bad when you are not first player. You May choose à 9 turn combination with à dead tix instead.
Knockando

Post by Knockando »

Knockando wrote: 05 October 2022, 06:58 "turn order determinate before selecting tickets" is very interesting, because sometimes you don't choose the same tickets with or without start.

BUT CURRENTLY YOU KNOW BEFORE ACCEPTING THE GAME WHO WILL HAVE THE START. And some players leave at this point because they won't play first.
When you have to "decline" or "accept" a game, player who will start is on left and player who will play second is on right of screen.
Yesterday I've seen 2 times start for the player who was right place on this screen, so it have been fixed or it was "just" a very long bad luck...
cassa30

Post by cassa30 »

I am playing mostly 4 players, so it should be 25% that I start.
In fact i feel like 10%
and in fact mostly Premium members starts or are at second place?

maybe it is by purpose. ?

I see that Premium members are prefered
- starting at first or second place
- longest route is calculated different
- how they get so fast same colors
- have so long and good routs and finishing

and if you look at the ranking, 29 of 30 top players are Premium members :D

Return to “Ticket to Ride”