Longest game ever on bga

General discussion on board games
Medjes

Longest game ever on bga

Post by Medjes »

Well, is there a record for the longest game ever on bga ?

I dunno yet, but I'm eager to create it...

Here's the story...

Playing Star Fluxx, and we ended to the endless loop with the Cute Fuzzy Alien Creature. I proposed several time a commun withdraw, but my opponent remains silent, even if I perfectly know that he knows about it.

I could of course be smarter and forfeit, or break the loop by discarding another Keeper... but I can be stubborn too, and it's a question of principle - I proposed a fair solution, why should I be the only one to be smart ? ;)

If you want to see for how long it's been during: https://boardgamearena.com/3/starfluxx?table=285074851 Started of the 21st of July...
Kayvon

Re: Longest game ever on bga

Post by Kayvon »

As a developer, I had been waiting for all the Gaia Project games started before 2022 to finish so I could complete a change I had been working on. Eventually, I gave up and just worked around it.

Here's a table that was started in November of 2021. Still running. Most recent move was taken just a few hours ago.
https://boardgamearena.com/9/gaiaprojec ... =217400221

I'm sure there are longer games. It's just the first example I thought of.
CesareRaf

Post by CesareRaf »

Medjes wrote: 07 October 2022, 08:58 Well, is there a record for the longest game ever on bga ?

I dunno yet, but I'm eager to create it...

Here's the story...

Playing Star Fluxx, and we ended to the endless loop with the Cute Fuzzy Alien Creature. I proposed several time a commun withdraw, but my opponent remains silent, even if I perfectly know that he knows about it.

I could of course be smarter and forfeit, or break the loop by discarding another Keeper... but I can be stubborn too, and it's a question of principle - I proposed a fair solution, why should I be the only one to be smart ? ;)

If you want to see for how long it's been during: https://boardgamearena.com/3/starfluxx?table=285074851 Started of the 21st of July...
I left a message of encouragement in your chat as I though you were writing history, only to immediately later discover thanks to the developer's comment that your game is not unique at all! :lol:
Vandaley

Post by Vandaley »

Today is the 1 year anniversary of this game I am in, which has consinsistently had moves made and had no hiatus.

About a year ago, I started 5 turn-based Crew games and the other 4 completed some time ago (all making it through stage 32). This one has had some tougher draws.

https://boardgamearena.com/9/thecrewdee ... =213454456
Nocturnia

Post by Nocturnia »

Hola. Yo estoy jugando una campaña a "The Crew" de forma activa y ya llevamos 2 años!! !!

Hello. I'm actively playing a "The Crew" campaign and we've been here for 2 years now!! !!

https://boardgamearena.com/2/thecrew?table=114995693
Medjes

Post by Medjes »

2 years, that's impressive !

But the difference is that you are playing, for I am stuck in an endless loop.
voriki

Post by voriki »

They should program in a game if there is an endless loop, ie. the last 5-10 actions are identical, that the game autoamtically ends in a draw for the remaining players.
Medjes

Post by Medjes »

100% agreeing to this.
Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

The idea sounds good, but in practice it's difficult to implement. For starters, it would need to be implemented separately for each BGA game -- a one-size-fits-all solution won't work due to how the framework is implemented.

Then each game's developer will need to determine which pieces of information count towards the same state. Sound easy, right? Just use everything. The you remember, what if the round couter has incremented? No, that shouldn't count. What if the game statistics have changed? Maybe some of them should count, but others (e.g. "pass actions taken") shouldn't.

Okay, maybe you ignore the state and do "same actions taken" as suggested. You'd have to manually filter out some actions, since changing user options is considered an action by the framework. And maybe in some games doing the same action 5 timer in a row is fine (push-your-luck games do this a lot).

Okay, so actions won't work. Maybe you go with number of moves? That's no good either. Some games have one move per turn. Others have many moves as part of the same turn due to (you guessed it!) the way the framework handles moves and actions.

Like many suggestions here, it's easy to see how it's a great idea, but prohibitively difficult to implement.
Medjes

Post by Medjes »

At least, BGA admin should have the possibility to end a game like mine, without any loss of rep.

I was nice at the beginning, but this kind of comportement gets on my nerves. Even if I won't gave him the victory.

Bad players like those should not been rewarded in any way.

Return to “Discuss about board games”