Can we Have Option for Block/No Blocking Games for People Who Hate SABOTAGE Players?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Mr_Magic

Re: Can we Have Option for Block/No Blocking Games for People Who Hate SABOTAGE Players?

Post by Mr_Magic »

See attachments, when you manually create a table you can edit the Presentation. Whatever you type in there shows in the table list
chrome_1JOWGwIYtv.png
chrome_1JOWGwIYtv.png (55.58 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
chrome_NWadntNJ1z.png
chrome_NWadntNJ1z.png (61.27 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
chrome_BIXclhGAI2.png
chrome_BIXclhGAI2.png (64.37 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
MadManMark

Re: Can we Have Option for Block/No Blocking Games for People Who Hate SABOTAGE Players?

Post by MadManMark »

Kruszer wrote: 08 October 2022, 00:22I just had a miserable game experience ... it's generally agreed upon that this is a jerk move
This would be the obligatory moment to point out that you just called the designer of this game, Alan R. Moon, a "jerk."
Do I block people? Yeah, I really enjoy blocking people. I think that is part of the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV3goQN ... ysofWonder
Mr_Magic

Post by Mr_Magic »

MadManMark wrote: 11 October 2022, 15:01
Kruszer wrote: 08 October 2022, 00:22I just had a miserable game experience ... it's generally agreed upon that this is a jerk move
This would be the obligatory moment to point out that you just called the designer of this game, Alan R. Moon, a "jerk."
Do I block people? Yeah, I really enjoy blocking people. I think that is part of the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV3goQN ... ysofWonder
Totally agree! Not sure where IOP's " this is generally agreed upon" comes from. I didn't see that questionnaire
Kruszer

Post by Kruszer »

I'm talking about people who specifically block ALL possible routes in our around your route. They aren't even working on their own tickets at that point, just blocking everyone else's. This is NOT THE SAME as someone who blocks because they have a legitimate goal in mind, like a ticket to finish or trying to get more points/longest route etc.

Yeah. They got a red thumb but it' left me with a fear of playing on BGA since I find that way of playing pointless and not enjoyable.
Kruszer

Post by Kruszer »

Mr_Magic wrote: 11 October 2022, 13:04 See attachments, when you manually create a table you can edit the Presentation. Whatever you type in there shows in the table list

chrome_1JOWGwIYtv.pngchrome_NWadntNJ1z.pngchrome_BIXclhGAI2.png
Thanks! I've never seen that but I've always just joined from the main game window, without seeing the open tables options.
Mr_Magic

Post by Mr_Magic »

Kruszer wrote: 14 October 2022, 08:14 I'm talking about people who specifically block ALL possible routes in our around your route. They aren't even working on their own tickets at that point, just blocking everyone else's. This is NOT THE SAME as someone who blocks because they have a legitimate goal in mind, like a ticket to finish or trying to get more points/longest route etc.

Yeah. They got a red thumb but it' left me with a fear of playing on BGA since I find that way of playing pointless and not enjoyable.
People who play like that usually hurt themselves more than the person they are trying to block. At worst it is a form of kingmaking if they do this and allow a third player to take the lead.

I get that its annoying but short of only playing with those who you trust then I'm not sure what you can do. Even asking not to block in the presentation text is no guarantee.

Have you looked to se eif ther are any TTR groups here to organise games with known players or by invite?
pixiesboy

Post by pixiesboy »

If you play by blocking only, you will never win. However, lots of players focus on taking the 6 train lines and leaving the 1 or 2 train lines between their 2 paths, as if now they own that path. That is obviously a dumb move strategy wise.. You win a game by making more points than your opponent. In Monopoly, if someone owns Park Place and you land on Boardwalk, do you not buy since another player would benefit from it more? So if you take long trains, take the short ones first then the long ones. If not, don’t complain that others are blocking you..
cigma

Post by cigma »

Mr_Magic wrote: 11 October 2022, 13:04 See attachments, when you manually create a table you can edit the Presentation. Whatever you type in there shows in the table list
True, but often players will not pay attention to that. And then the trouble is even bigger!
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
Mr_Magic

Post by Mr_Magic »

I agree. The only real solution is to arrange private games if you want to play this way.
mrbass

Post by mrbass »

I've submitted a request to Days of Wonder to change the official rules as maybe they made a grave error and aren't inclusive of friendly gameplay.
A player may claim any open route on the board. He is never required to connect to any of his previously played routes.
Rather it would be best if they change it to the following:
A player may claim any open route on the board as long as they aren't blocking an opponent. They are never required to connect to any of his previously played routes as long as it's within the spirit of open and equitable opportunity for all opponents. Also competitiveness is generally frowned upon and if you wish to compete a little bit that's permissible to a degree but must be done discretely as to not offend opponents.

Return to “Ticket to Ride”