Can we Have Option for Block/No Blocking Games for People Who Hate SABOTAGE Players?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Mr_Magic

Re: Can we Have Option for Block/No Blocking Games for People Who Hate SABOTAGE Players?

Post by Mr_Magic »

Funny, but not super helpful
Helke von Schluck

Re: Can we Have Option for Block/No Blocking Games for People Who Hate SABOTAGE Players?

Post by Helke von Schluck »

WTF did I juste read ?
If you wanna play this game with YOUR way, then you're allowed to create YOUR tables with YOUR rules. Trying to change the game itself for the reasons you point is (to me) a lack of respect for all the players who actually enjoy playing this way. The game allows me to win while blocking oponents and I also enjoy being blocked by them, so it forces me to change paths and plans. I find the idea of yours very rude, the way it was asked : your opinion is not more or less valuable than others, stop acting like we, people who enjoy playing this way, are jerks when you're saints.
SYushen

Post by SYushen »

So far your Elo is quite low. You should try to figure out how to improve by using strategies within the game rules. Sobtaging is a legal stragtety. You don't have to do it but there are certain ways to make yourself LESS LIKELY to be sabotaged by others and you should probably apply them. Afterall it's all about winning using all the possible methods. You may also argure that you are a casual player who just enjoys the process and doesn't care about winning. However in that case, there's also no point complaining about losing in the forum.
MrBeardy

Post by MrBeardy »

i just encountered one of these blocker players. First moves are to take 1 and 2 train routes at random places just to frustrate. I see what the OP's on about now.
Mr_Magic

Post by Mr_Magic »

How did they rank in the game?
Le007n

Post by Le007n »

Anyone up for a game of chess?
Custom rules, no taking of pieces allowed because I don't like this. I've written to the designer and expect a reply sometime soon to implement this rule as standard...

That's basically what this stems down to and in all seriousness, if you don't like the fact this can happen, it's probably not the game for you.

Why not try something with less interaction like bird solitaire (wingspan). Or, as others have suggested, play with friends only.

If you don't have this network, why not create a forum post or group to find like minded players who want to pay 'just for fun' TTR which would be more fruitful for you
thoun

Post by thoun »

Le007n wrote: 26 October 2022, 13:30 Why not try something with less interaction like bird solitaire (wingspan). Or, as others have suggested, play with friends only.
To be a little more serious, the game Get on Board share some similarities with Ticket to Ride (laying a track), but you cannot be blocked by opponents ;)
AcrossTheNight

Post by AcrossTheNight »

Mr_Magic wrote: 14 October 2022, 10:01
Kruszer wrote: 14 October 2022, 08:14 I'm talking about people who specifically block ALL possible routes in our around your route. They aren't even working on their own tickets at that point, just blocking everyone else's. This is NOT THE SAME as someone who blocks because they have a legitimate goal in mind, like a ticket to finish or trying to get more points/longest route etc.

Yeah. They got a red thumb but it' left me with a fear of playing on BGA since I find that way of playing pointless and not enjoyable.
People who play like that usually hurt themselves more than the person they are trying to block. At worst it is a form of kingmaking if they do this and allow a third player to take the lead.

I get that its annoying but short of only playing with those who you trust then I'm not sure what you can do. Even asking not to block in the presentation text is no guarantee.

Have you looked to se eif ther are any TTR groups here to organise games with known players or by invite?
The accusation that such a legitimate strategy is "kingmaking", which is a bannable offense on this site, is far off base.
Mr_Magic

Post by Mr_Magic »

AcrossTheNight wrote: 03 November 2022, 22:21
The accusation that such a legitimate strategy is "kingmaking", which is a bannable offense on this site, is far off base.
I have no horses in this race and if you've read my posts you'll see I am in favour of leaving rules and settings as they are. That said, it could be argued that player 1 incessantly trying to block player 2 for no reason other than to block would mean that player 3 would have an easier win.
arisanana

Post by arisanana »

AcrossTheNight wrote: 03 November 2022, 22:21
Just for the record, it is most definitely not bannable as far as I can tell, even in the FAQ, probably because no matter how obvious it seems there's "technically no way to prove that it's kingmaking"—even if it seems clear they're feeding another player specifically, even if their game history with each other ends in 99% one person winning, even if they're playing on the same IP address—because we can't see what's happening on the other side of the screen or in their mind :')

The only action taken on BGA against "kingmaking" is RT and a temp fall in reputation.

Return to “Ticket to Ride”