League with promotion/relegation system

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
Stobby84

League with promotion/relegation system

Post by Stobby84 »

Hello everybody,
I am a passionate player of Castle of Burgundy and I like tournaments systems and championships.
Today I just created my first tournament and, while looking at FAQ I had an idea and I would like to understand how and if it is possible to prototype it with the current tools.
While creating I saw the notion of championship mentioned, which, in my understanding, should create a link between tournaments. I investigated a little but, except for a name, I did not really understood how the concept of championship is exploited.
I would like to create a league with a promotion/relegation system based on round robin tournaments. The idea is that, players participating in a such kind of format should have the tendency to naturally divide themselves in groups and this should guarantee a good amount of challenge (and satisfaction) to each participant.
Today BGA has an arena system, but it is more like a ladder. You never really know against who you will play your next match and I find this frustrating since it looks a little like a rat race.
With a sort of league based on two or three tiers (the lowest open, the others reserved to those who got promoted/relegated) I think players could play the challenge.

I wanted to prototype the idea by creating a “season” of three very small round robin tournaments (8-10 people max).

The idea should be that:
1st season – one big round robin tournament with all the players. At the end of the season the upper half of the standings becomes the higher league (or whatever name we like 😊) and the lower half becomes the lower league
2nd season – higher league plays a round robin tournament, lower league plays the round robin tournament. First two or three of lower league are promoted to higher league, last two or three of higher league are relegated to lower
3rd season – new round, just to check how people feel and if the idea is nice.

Under a technical point of view I was thinking of using the round robin system to create the tournaments and manage the upper tier with a sort of invitation system.
Full standings should be managed externally on the forum..

What do you think?
GeraldineMerida

Re: League with promotion/relegation system

Post by GeraldineMerida »

You might want to look at the All Round League group, which has run a league system with multiple divisions for several seasons now.

That league involves playing a wide range of games, not just one, but it might still give you some useful ideas.
Stobby84

Post by Stobby84 »

Thank you!
Actually I have found an option that lets you choose when to play matches. This is very interesting since it goes in my direction which is to organise something that goes on weekly basis avoiding having 12/18 matches to play at the same time.

I have created a test tournament for players : https://boardgamearena.com/tournament?id=171877
It is still a concept under construction so everybody is welcome to give a constructive feedback!
FSKFSK

Post by FSKFSK »

Multi-event tournaments are not handled by the site. You would have to manually invite people and keep your own leaderboard.

If you only want to play against good players, you can increase the minimum elo. Or, make elimination tournaments which means that anyone who makes it past the first 1-2 rounds probably will be a good player.
Wreckage

Post by Wreckage »

Scheduling a time to play each week could have a lot of problems. You would need to have all VERY reliable people involved. If several people aren't there on time, that's several tables not playing. What does that do to your scores? This could happen each week. If a person is just a few seconds late, they will not be allowed to play.

It's unfortunate the tournament manager is not allowed any control over the event. But once the tournament is set up, you have absolutely no control at all. No adjustments are allowed.

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”