Passing choices

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
lolololo123

Passing choices

Post by lolololo123 »

When passing one of the choices is to hire new servants (through butlers room), but in my games never gives me that choice. Isn’t that strange?
nikh158

Re: Passing choices

Post by nikh158 »

That option is only available in the Upstairs/Downstairs expansion. In the original rules, you have to spend an entire turn hiring staff.
Bender2912

Post by Bender2912 »

Dan Hallagan also mentioned you should use the new passing rule for the base game because it makes passing a viable option and not a penalty or so luck depending.
WolfboyNick

Post by WolfboyNick »

Bender2912 wrote: 10 October 2022, 06:37 Dan Hallagan also mentioned you should use the new passing rule for the base game because it makes passing a viable option and not a penalty or so luck depending.
As a new player... could you please elaborate on this? What is the new passing rule (as compared to the presumably old passing rule)?
QBert

Post by QBert »

Instead of taking 200 pounds or refreshing the builders market on a pass you can activate the servant hiring room with the butler to hire servants.
EowynGreenleaf

Post by EowynGreenleaf »

I like this rule too - hiring servants can feel like a bit of a waste of a turn, so great if you can do it when you Pass!

The other update that applies to the base game but came with Upstairs Downstairs was the replacement of the original Monuments that I believe people found to be overpowered in terms of VPs.

It would be nice if Upstairs Downstairs became an option too :D
fluffbutter

Post by fluffbutter »

Whenever I play Obsession irl with just the base game, I always use the hiring servants on a pass turn option. I think it would be great to have that on here. I think it'd be so great that I added a suggestion in the bug management system to implement that option! If you vote for it, it may increase the likelihood it gets added! Here's a link to my suggestion: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=74770.
TheReeve

Post by TheReeve »

That is an Upstairs, Downstairs rule, and as desirable as it is, it would be confusing to add a rule from an expansion to the base game for people being exposed to the base game. So the base game rules are used. In 2023, I am hopeful we will add Upstairs, Downstairs.

Dan

Return to “Obsession”