Game start alteration

Suggestions & ideas / Suggestions & idées
HairyGnome

Game start alteration

Post by HairyGnome »

In a multiplayer game, when the last seat is filled, the page changes to one that shows each player and a "Cancel Game" button.

At this point, if the game host sees that (s)he doesn't want to play with one of the players -- eg, the player has a bad reputation or is on the same ISP as a second player and is likely cheating -- the only option for the game host is to cancel the game and start all over again.

If the page didn't change, if it remained at the sign in page, the game host could simply eject the unwanted player.

Please make this so.
ufm

Re: Game start alteration

Post by ufm »

You can. Use manual lobby instead of automatic.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

HairyGnome wrote: 10 October 2022, 06:02or is on the same ISP as a second player and is likely cheating
The notice relates to playing from the same IP, not ISP. And saying someone is "likely" cheating really overstates it.
MrBeardy

Post by MrBeardy »

Lol yeah. My wife and i play from same IP now and then when the baby allows us both to be online simultaneously. Two more competitive adversaries you will not find.
SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

It's possible to cheat if you're on the same IP?
Silene

Post by Silene »

SquashEngineer wrote: 17 October 2022, 13:27 It's possible to cheat if you're on the same IP?
Yes.
It's also possible to cheat when on different IP.
And it's possible to not cheat when on same IP.

Some people think cheating is happening more on same IP. I don't know if that's true, but I think it's ok for people to avoid that situation by not playing with them.
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

SquashEngineer wrote: 17 October 2022, 13:27 It's possible to cheat if you're on the same IP?
The implication is that if you're on the same IP as another player, then you are likely in the same location as another player and can easily share information with that other player to collude (in a partnership game) or otherwise give one of the players an advantage that they wouldn't have without the shared information. So the reasoning is that being in the same room makes it easier to cheat by sharing hidden information and being on the same IP makes it more likely that you are in the same room. Obviously that doesn't mean you are cheating or even that you are even likely to be cheating.

Of course, you can also cheat by being on a private voice chat or screen sharing with the other person even if they are on a different IP. And given that cheaters know about this warning, they probably cheat using those other means. So all the warning does is unfairly malign players who are mostly likely just family members playing from home trying to enjoy a game.
SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

Meeplelowda wrote: 17 October 2022, 15:56
The implication is that if you're on the same IP as another player, then you are likely in the same location as another player and can easily share information with that other player to collude (in a partnership game) or otherwise give one of the players an advantage that they wouldn't have without the shared information. So the reasoning is that being in the same room makes it easier to cheat by sharing hidden information and being on the same IP makes it more likely that you are in the same room. Obviously that doesn't mean you are cheating or even that you are even likely to be cheating.

Of course, you can also cheat by being on a private voice chat or screen sharing with the other person even if they are on a different IP. And given that cheaters know about this warning, they probably cheat using those other means. So all the warning does is unfairly malign players who are mostly likely just family members playing from home trying to enjoy a game.
TIL: lol. When I initially read this, I thought the guy didn't want to play with his wife in the same house, because she has some way of cheating against him, being on the same IP. I didn't understand the whole idea of colluding within one IP against third parties. Ah!!!! That's funny.

I don't care about possible cheating - I'm here for the fun only.
HairyGnome

Post by HairyGnome »

ufm wrote: 10 October 2022, 06:57 You can. Use manual lobby instead of automatic.
I am on Manual. I've always been on manual.

Return to “Suggestions”