Some needed additions/changes

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Bender2912

Some needed additions/changes

Post by Bender2912 »

First of all.
This is an awesome implementation of the boardgame.

It would be great to get the new monuments into the game because they are much fairer than those redicoulous strong old ones which directly act like two flipped tiles and the fame buff.

Also pls implement the new passing option which also dan hallagan, the designer prefers because it makes passing a more viable option and not a penalty.

Also, Dan explained you can play guests which have a negative favour (like the american ladys with -3 fame but + money even you are at 0 fame). In the moment this is not possible here.

Keep up the awesome work. I still enjoy playing it here.
tgmcduff

Re: Some needed additions/changes

Post by tgmcduff »

Also pls implement the new passing option which also dan hallagan, the designer prefers because it makes passing a more viable option and not a penalty.
I also would like to see the new Passing Option implemented that provides the option to Hire Servants when you pass.

It would be nice if we could have a pop up near the servants' area that displays the help card which describes each servant and who they can stand in for. Unfortunately, the player provided by the rules below references the New Passing Option which allows players to Hire Servants when you pass. That led me to believe passing had been fixed to include that. So I was disappointed when I chose to pass and wasn't allowed to Hire Servants.

Otherwise, great implementation. Love this game! Obsession is my new obsession.
jaffacakes

Post by jaffacakes »

Please also implement a reasonable "undo" option. As long as new information has not been revealed, there is no reason that a player shouldn't be able to undo. Sometimes it's hard to do all the housekeeping with scrolling up and down, and a small click or math error can have dire consequences. BTW, this applies to literally every BGA game, too. Undo should always be an option with no new info revealed.

Other than that, really great adaptation of this wonderful game. Can't wait to see the expansions!
Joseph2302

Post by Joseph2302 »

+1 for the new passing option (you can hire servants when you pass). Right now, you have to spend 2 turns- 1 to pass, and 1 to hire servants- and game is much better if you have the extra action
lliwedd

Post by lliwedd »

At present when you're invited to buy an improvement, all of the tiles in the market are highlighted, and then if you try to buy one you can't afford, you get an error message. It would be quite nice if only the ones you could actually afford were highlighted.
TheReeve

Post by TheReeve »

Sorry, I am just seeing these comments.

1) HIGHLIGHTING ITEMS IN THE MARKET THAT YOU CAN AFFORD: By doing this, I felt that we concealed options from players who are learning. By this I mean that there are Special Actions and VP Cards that allow you to change what it affordable. Since this highlighting of items is what you can afford with your currently available money, it doesn't represent what you can afford given SA and VPC. When you click on that English Garden and get the message that you don't have enough money, the player (after cursing me) then asks himself, "Where can I get more money?" and explores primarily the pain of SA. Given the complexity of what is truly affordable, we chose to not highlight in the fashion suggested.

2) UPSTAIRS, DOWNSTAIRS PASSING OPTION: Like you, I sometimes writhe in pain when I have to pass with the base game mode...buuuut, that is good discipline. The austerity of the base game pass truly forces you to manage your passes very carefully: you want to pass when you can make a purchase and/or to set up the next turn. Everyone is on the same playing field, and I enjoy the tension of balancing the passing and the hiring with being productive. It is like enjoying cycling (base game) vs. Formula 1 (UD). Also, there is an effort to remain loyal to the rules that are in the box because someone test-driving on BGA who likes the game would then not find that option in the base game box.

3) UNDO OPTION: There are undo options...up to a point. You can undo your activity anytime before you hit CONFIRM. So you can cycle activities and guests and grumble about missing servants and go back to darn Bowling Green for the 3rd time...until you click CONFIRM. Do you need an UNDO past that? We get into revealed information, which has some programming grit, and I had to choose. We did add CONFIRM because people said (very early on before BETA) that automatically processing a valid activity was too much.

4) NEW MONUMENTS: I can see this being an early edition to this adaptation. High VP monuments do change the game dramatically.

Hope that helps.

Dan
hildea

Post by hildea »

3) UNDO OPTION: There are undo options...up to a point. You can undo your activity anytime before you hit CONFIRM. So you can cycle activities and guests and grumble about missing servants and go back to darn Bowling Green for the 3rd time...until you click CONFIRM. Do you need an UNDO past that?
It would be nice, yes. Use case: I choose an activity, choose guests, click confirm, go to buy a tile -- and notice the "+200" in tiny font that I'd overlooked :( I can burn some reputation, but I would have preferred to instead use another activity or guest.
Not a huge deal -- it's a mistake I won't make more than once or twice, but can be unpleasant especially for new players.
RenegadeSibe

Post by RenegadeSibe »

:D agreed, the passing option with Butler’s Room is necessary
tgmcduff wrote: 22 October 2022, 22:07
I also would like to see the new Passing Option implemented that provides the option to Hire Servants when you pass.

It would be nice if we could have a pop up near the servants' area that displays the help card which describes each servant and who they can stand in for. Unfortunately, the player provided by the rules below references the New Passing Option which allows players to Hire Servants when you pass. That led me to believe passing had been fixed to include that. So I was disappointed when I chose to pass and wasn't allowed to Hire Servants.

Otherwise, great implementation. Love this game! Obsession is my new obsession.
Embe13

Post by Embe13 »

TheReeve wrote: 02 December 2022, 19:34
2) UPSTAIRS, DOWNSTAIRS PASSING OPTION: Like you, I sometimes writhe in pain when I have to pass with the base game mode...buuuut, that is good discipline. The austerity of the base game pass truly forces you to manage your passes very carefully: you want to pass when you can make a purchase and/or to set up the next turn. Everyone is on the same playing field, and I enjoy the tension of balancing the passing and the hiring with being productive. It is like enjoying cycling (base game) vs. Formula 1 (UD). Also, there is an effort to remain loyal to the rules that are in the box because someone test-driving on BGA who likes the game would then not find that option in the base game box.

Dan
I would like to see the upstairs downstairs added as a option you can turn on and off. otherwise love the game and hope more like it get BGA adaptations soon (I really want Armageddon)
emmapants

Post by emmapants »

TheReeve wrote: 02 December 2022, 19:34 3) UNDO OPTION: There are undo options...up to a point. You can undo your activity anytime before you hit CONFIRM. So you can cycle activities and guests and grumble about missing servants and go back to darn Bowling Green for the 3rd time...until you click CONFIRM. Do you need an UNDO past that? We get into revealed information, which has some programming grit, and I had to choose. We did add CONFIRM because people said (very early on before BETA) that automatically processing a valid activity was too much.
I did mess up in a game with this where I went to steal a lady's maid from my opponent who had recruited all of them, and then found out we were playing in "friendly" mode. :o So yeah, more undo wouldn't be amiss. :D

I don't know if this is the right place to mention this, but also the time limit on turns for real-time games is way too short with the number of actions you have to take per turn, scrolling up and down, and reading the information on different cards. I'm constantly going over my time limit on this game.

Return to “Obsession”