Arena season 11: go!

Board Game Arena Official announcements
ufm

Re: Arena season 11: go!

Post by ufm »

DVC wrote: 13 October 2022, 14:19
Again, you don't have to play Arena games to become a guru.
Currently gurus are selected by the number of games (and again, this is not limited to Arena mode) they played during last 30 days.
If you want to share your opinion on Catan, you should write on Catan subforum or player group rather than here.

And as others said, the vote not solely depends on the game's depth, but on the waiting time too as the player pool is smaller than normal mode.
In fact there are many games with 2 player Arena setting to keep it running even if the recommended player number is 3+.
Dunno whether this applies on Catan too though.
DVC

Post by DVC »

ufm wrote: 13 October 2022, 14:25
DVC wrote: 13 October 2022, 14:19
Again, you don't have to play Arena games to become a guru.
Currently gurus are selected by the number of games (and again, this is not limited to Arena mode) they played during last 30 days.
If you want to share your opinion about Catan, you should pay a visit to Catan subforum or player group rather than here.

And as others said, the vote not solely depends on the game's depth, but on the matching rate too as the player pool is smaller than normal mode.
In fact there are many games with 2 player Arena setting to keep it running even though the recommended player number is 3+.
Dunno whether this applies on Catan too though.
I have posted in the Catan subforum about the 3/4p problem several times, but the self-selection issue is true for BGA as a whole. I didn’t know about the last 30 days rule. I played about 120 mostly non-Arena games last season, but they were generally at the beginning.
Respublik

Post by Respublik »

Lukeing_good wrote: 12 October 2022, 01:24 Can the admin please allow the arena top 10 or top 20 to be guru for the game? I have been the skull and saboteur arena top 10 but had never been guru for these games.
Seconding this, or at least a compromise of randomly select X% of arena's Top Y to be gurus for a whole single season. That should address both the somewhat logical expectation that successful arena's players would maintain status quo, but would also remove guru's selecting unplayable settings without any opposition for some games, despite being a non-arena players themselves and having 0 practical experience of how arena works!! Or at least doing that without someone being able to have a discussion about the situation of the changes.

Would be great to launch a suggestion for this.
Vynce

Post by Vynce »

DVC wrote: 13 October 2022, 14:19 I used quotation marks to suggest that this is the position of the site on this matter. I know it’s not you, but you are defending the policy and claiming that it’s somehow my choice, when it’s clearly not. I’ll use another analogy. Everyone is eating carrot cake, but there’s a much better recipe for carrot cake. I tell the people eating the bad cake that this is better, but they’re not interested because they are used to that cake and don’t want to change it. But this cake is much better, I say again. They ignore me. Eventually one of them says, “OK, we will think about trying your cake, but only if you eat 100 of our cakes first.” “But I don’t like your cakes.” “Fine, that’s your choice.”

But this raises another key point. Other people who have defended the policy have also said “Don’t blame me - I didn’t do it.” Other than sounding off in forums, how can I speak to anyone responsible? If there is a “guru” forum, I guess I’m not invited.
You responded to me saying "I'm not closing the door" with "Yes you are" so if your intention was to say something else, that didn't come across.

But for your carrot cake analogy, if you go into a store and demand they change their popular and successful carrot cake recipe, but you don't even buy their cake, why should they listen to you? Even moreso, why should they listen to you if as far as they can tell you won't even taste their cake, and thus cannot possibly know whether yours is better?

As for getting a response from the site: good luck. I think they have a very small staff, and very small profit margins, and not that much interest in engaging with angry people on topics where no matter what they do someone will be angry. The best thing you can do is to rock the vote - play a lot of games with strangers and get them to see and prefer the way you prefer. That may be difficult if you refuse to meet people where they are and play the game as it is more popular.
DVC

Post by DVC »

Firstly, I said no such thing. Read the thread back.

Secondly, I have eaten LOADS of 3p cake and I can list all the ways that it doesn’t taste as good. And it’s not at all “popular” in a competitive environment - which is what Arena is supposed to be. Every real-life tournament has 4p as a default, only using 3p on some boards if they have to. It might be more popular for casual play - I don’t have stats - but that’s a different thing.

Anyway, it seems as if it’s possible to become a guru by playing lots of games outside Arena approx. 30 days before voting near end of season, so for want of anything better, that’s going to have to be my Plan B.
ufm

Post by ufm »

DVC wrote: 13 October 2022, 23:54 Anyway, it seems as if it’s possible to become a guru by playing lots of games outside Arena approx. 30 days before voting near end of season, so for want of anything better, that’s going to have to be my Plan B.
Votes end before 1 week from the end of an Arena season, and a vote cast will not be voided for that season even you lose guru eligibility later.
DVC wrote: 13 October 2022, 23:54 Secondly, I have eaten LOADS of 3p cake and I can list all the ways that it doesn’t taste as good. And it’s not at all “popular” in a competitive environment - which is what Arena is supposed to be. Every real-life tournament has 4p as a default, only using 3p on some boards if they have to. It might be more popular for casual play - I don’t have stats - but that’s a different thing.
In BGA modes low player count games are far more frequent compared to high player count games unless 2~3p modes are practically unplayable.
poltorgeist

Post by poltorgeist »

ufm wrote: 14 October 2022, 00:06
DVC wrote: 13 October 2022, 23:54 Secondly, I have eaten LOADS of 3p cake and I can list all the ways that it doesn’t taste as good. And it’s not at all “popular” in a competitive environment - which is what Arena is supposed to be. Every real-life tournament has 4p as a default, only using 3p on some boards if they have to. It might be more popular for casual play - I don’t have stats - but that’s a different thing.
In BGA modes low player count games are far more frequent compared to high player count games unless 2~3p modes are practically unplayable.
not true for Agricola - 4 player is standard whereas 2 and 3 player games are perfectly playable.

Anyone have a good carrot cake recipe?
ufm

Post by ufm »

poltorgeist wrote: 19 October 2022, 07:13 ola - 4 player is standard whereas 2 and 3 player games are perfectly playable.
In general, I meant. Also, Arena standard ≠ Most played setting.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

poltorgeist wrote: 19 October 2022, 07:13 Anyone have a good carrot cake recipe?
I actually like carrot cake and want to try the store's version and DVC's version. Had I known we'd be exchanging recipes I wouldn't have been ignoring this thread the whole time.

What's that? It's not about real cake? Never mind then....
Trepiastok

Post by Trepiastok »

Гуру это какие-то непонятные люди, даже не хорошие игроки. В гуру непонятными образом принимают и так же легко, без всякого уважения, выбрасывают. Совершенно бессмысленная система.

Return to “Official announcements [en]”