Arena season 11: go!

Board Game Arena Official announcements
DVC

Re: Arena season 11: go!

Post by DVC »

So after all the complaints and debate this season, Catan remains 3p in Arena?! Who are these gurus who don’t seem to understand how the game works? I’d like to compete competitively but I’ve sat out the whole season, waiting for this to change. You would attract some top players by making it 4-player, but you seem to want to keep it in “family mode”. Why not make the Arena actually worth competing in?
Patrick of the Isles

Post by Patrick of the Isles »

Thanks to all the BGA staff for another fun season of games. Since we are all shouting our thoughts into the void in this comments section, I will say that I feel that turn-based and real-time should be separate categories, and should not be in the same arena. For many games, I think they test slightly different skills, and it can be frustrating for those of us who mostly play real-time games when hundreds of turn-based games suddenly resolve at the end of the arena season and dramatically change the standings.
bamf226

Post by bamf226 »

Patrick of the Isles wrote: 11 October 2022, 21:03 Thanks to all the BGA staff for another fun season of games. Since we are all shouting our thoughts into the void in this comments section, I will say that I feel that turn-based and real-time should be separate categories, and should not be in the same arena. For many games, I think they test slightly different skills, and it can be frustrating for those of us who mostly play real-time games when hundreds of turn-based games suddenly resolve at the end of the arena season and dramatically change the standings.
As a turn-based player I 1000% agree with this. Turn-based play causes slower rise in the rankings and is not equitable to real-time games that can play considerably more games in the same time frame as 1 turn-based game.
Vynce

Post by Vynce »

DVC wrote: 11 October 2022, 20:20 I’ve sat out the whole season, waiting for this to change.
be the change you want to see in the world. Play and vote for 4p.
Philoupino

Post by Philoupino »

miklomike wrote: 11 October 2022, 16:14 Can we please change gurus so that if you become a guru during a season you CANNOT lose your guru status during that same season. You earned the right to vote on new arena settings but lose your vote by the time the votes are actually counted.

Just have guru status relegate at the conclusion of a season the same way your ranking does.
That's a brilliant idea !! "I suggested some changes for some games, but was not able to vote for them at the end of the season"... or "I became Guru in the middle of the season, but didn't stay Guru until the end, so it was useless"... are situations that do not have many logic

That's why I would suggest :
- Gurus should stay Gurus until the end of the season,
OR
- At least, we should be warned that "in a few days you will not be a Guru any more for the game X, it's time to suggest your format modifications before the dd/mm/yy where you will not have the Guru accesses and features any more" instead of being said afterwards "Oh! thank you for having been a Guru until now [= I hope you suggested things before, because now it's too late]" ;)
Lukeing_good

Post by Lukeing_good »

Can the admin please allow the arena top 10 or top 20 to be guru for the game? I have been the skull and saboteur arena top 10 but had never been guru for these games.
DVC

Post by DVC »

Vynce wrote: 11 October 2022, 23:13
DVC wrote: 11 October 2022, 20:20 I’ve sat out the whole season, waiting for this to change.
I have played a lot of 4p games outside of Arena. I refuse to play in Arena when it’s bizarrely set on 3p. I have no interest in playing 3p games. I have posted multiple times in different forums, asking for it to be changed, but I’ve never been invited to vote. How can change be effected if the voters are all from “within”?
DVC

Post by DVC »

RangarTML wrote: 11 October 2022, 17:12 Every competitive tournament for Catan is played with 4 players, why is your Arena 3?
I know, it’s ridiculous. I’ve been posting all season in multiple forums about this, explaining why 3p doesn’t work in a competitive setting, but it seems that they won’t listen. I would love to be able to participate, but I’ve no interest in 3p games.
Vynce

Post by Vynce »

DVC wrote: 12 October 2022, 03:45
Vynce wrote: 11 October 2022, 23:13
I refuse to play in Arena when it’s bizarrely set on 3p. ... How can change be effected if the voters are all from “within”?
But "within" is not closed to you; you are choosing not to earn the vote.

That said, I would support looking at giving the vote to people who play non-arena "competitive" games, and I've made other proposals regarding the Guru system as well.
charliesaidthat

Post by charliesaidthat »

Where do you see your previous arena season results?

Return to “Official announcements [en]”