Arena season 11: go!

Board Game Arena Official announcements
bamf226

Re: Arena season 11: go!

Post by bamf226 »

Vynce wrote: 12 October 2022, 08:12

That said, I would support looking at giving the vote to people who play non-arena "competitive" games, and I've made other proposals regarding the Guru system as well.
The current system favors those that only play real-time. There should be a good mix of players who play real-time or turn-based. I feel many decisions are based solely on real-time play. This also supports a system where real-time an turn-based are separated to two systems rather than 1
DVC

Post by DVC »

Vynce wrote: 12 October 2022, 08:12
DVC wrote: 12 October 2022, 03:45
Vynce wrote: 11 October 2022, 23:13
be the change you want to see in the world. Play and vote for 4p.
I refuse to play in Arena when it’s bizarrely set on 3p. ... How can change be effected if the voters are all from “within”?
But "within" is not closed to you; you are choosing not to earn the vote.

That said, I would support looking at giving the vote to people who play non-arena "competitive" games, and I've made other proposals regarding the Guru system as well.
No, you are closing the door. Are you really saying that in order to change it, I have to grind out dozens of ridiculously boring, random 3p games in the vague hope of eventually getting a vote to perhaps change things? That is absurd. I would seriously rather play Monopoly than 3p base Catan, and 4p Catan is probably my favourite game. More than any other game I’ve played, player count makes a massive difference to the whole thing. It makes me sad to see a game that has been so well rendered on BGA completely ruined in Arena mode.
Vynce

Post by Vynce »

DVC wrote: 12 October 2022, 15:55 No, you are closing the door. Are you really saying that in order to change it, I have to grind out dozens of ridiculously boring, random 3p games in the vague hope of eventually getting a vote to perhaps change things? That is absurd. I would seriously rather play Monopoly than 3p base Catan, and 4p Catan is probably my favourite game. More than any other game I’ve played, player count makes a massive difference to the whole thing. It makes me sad to see a game that has been so well rendered on BGA completely ruined in Arena mode.
Whoa, there. *I'm* not closing any doors - it's not my policy. If it isn't worth it to you to play some 3p catan to get to play 4p in the arena, then it's not - that's fine, but it's a choice you're making.
timothygsmithsr

Post by timothygsmithsr »

I am a big fan of Res Arcana, and I was disappointed to see the format change from 2 player to 3 player. I appreciate the guru system which allows those who have mastered the games to vote on the format, but I also wonder if it would be possible to have different arenas for different preferences.

I noticed there are many Catan players who would prefer the 4 player mode for the arena. Maybe this is a solution that would increase player satisfaction all around.

Thank you for listening.
timothygsmithsr

Post by timothygsmithsr »

Adding to my last post…
I’m currently in 3 turn-based games of Res arcana and it took a day just to get through the draft. Game play is considerably slowed down, which decreases enjoyment.

The creator of Res arcana also made race for the galaxy, one of the most enduring 2 player games in history (in my opinion) and I strongly feel Res Arcana is best in 2 player mode, but I appreciate the option to play with more. I’d just like arena mode to be for 2 players or at least have more than one arena with the option for 2 player.

If any gurus who voted for 3player are reading this, I would appreciate some insight on your reasoning for changing the format.
DVC

Post by DVC »

Vynce wrote: 12 October 2022, 16:43
DVC wrote: 12 October 2022, 15:55 No, you are closing the door. Are you really saying that in order to change it, I have to grind out dozens of ridiculously boring, random 3p games in the vague hope of eventually getting a vote to perhaps change things? That is absurd. I would seriously rather play Monopoly than 3p base Catan, and 4p Catan is probably my favourite game. More than any other game I’ve played, player count makes a massive difference to the whole thing. It makes me sad to see a game that has been so well rendered on BGA completely ruined in Arena mode.
Whoa, there. *I'm* not closing any doors - it's not my policy. If it isn't worth it to you to play some 3p catan to get to play 4p in the arena, then it's not - that's fine, but it's a choice you're making.
“You want to come into the castle? Sure! We’ve pulled up the drawbridge, filled the moat with sharks and set up an obstacle course of fire traps… Wait, you don’t want to come? Well, that’s your choice.”
Vynce

Post by Vynce »

DVC wrote: 13 October 2022, 00:56 “You want to come into the castle? Sure! We’ve pulled up the drawbridge, filled the moat with sharks and set up an obstacle course of fire traps… Wait, you don’t want to come? Well, that’s your choice.”
Aside from all the other ways your analogy is wrong, I didn't pull up the drawbridge! I'm standing next to you outside the moat. I don't work for the site, or make the decisions for catan, so i really don't know why you're blaming me.

I didn't do it.
ufm

Post by ufm »

DVC wrote: 11 October 2022, 20:20 So after all the complaints and debate this season, Catan remains 3p in Arena?! Who are these gurus who don’t seem to understand how the game works? I’d like to compete competitively but I’ve sat out the whole season, waiting for this to change. You would attract some top players by making it 4-player, but you seem to want to keep it in “family mode”. Why not make the Arena actually worth competing in?
FYI, gurus are selected from not only Arena players, but from all players of that game's group.
Patrick of the Isles wrote: 11 October 2022, 21:03 Thanks to all the BGA staff for another fun season of games. Since we are all shouting our thoughts into the void in this comments section, I will say that I feel that turn-based and real-time should be separate categories, and should not be in the same arena. For many games, I think they test slightly different skills, and it can be frustrating for those of us who mostly play real-time games when hundreds of turn-based games suddenly resolve at the end of the arena season and dramatically change the standings.
https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21681
It may change the standings, but none of turn-based users benefit from it.
StephBXL

Post by StephBXL »

The player community for Dingo's Dreams is rather small, which made it very very slow to start an arena table even in turn-based mode with only two players. Having increased the number of players to 3 makes the situation much worse. :(
DVC

Post by DVC »

Vynce wrote: 13 October 2022, 02:14
DVC wrote: 13 October 2022, 00:56 “You want to come into the castle? Sure! We’ve pulled up the drawbridge, filled the moat with sharks and set up an obstacle course of fire traps… Wait, you don’t want to come? Well, that’s your choice.”
Aside from all the other ways your analogy is wrong, I didn't pull up the drawbridge! I'm standing next to you outside the moat. I don't work for the site, or make the decisions for catan, so i really don't know why you're blaming me.

I didn't do it.
I used quotation marks to suggest that this is the position of the site on this matter. I know it’s not you, but you are defending the policy and claiming that it’s somehow my choice, when it’s clearly not. I’ll use another analogy. Everyone is eating carrot cake, but there’s a much better recipe for carrot cake. I tell the people eating the bad cake that this is better, but they’re not interested because they are used to that cake and don’t want to change it. But this cake is much better, I say again. They ignore me. Eventually one of them says, “OK, we will think about trying your cake, but only if you eat 100 of our cakes first.” “But I don’t like your cakes.” “Fine, that’s your choice.”

But this raises another key point. Other people who have defended the policy have also said “Don’t blame me - I didn’t do it.” Other than sounding off in forums, how can I speak to anyone responsible? If there is a “guru” forum, I guess I’m not invited.

Return to “Official announcements [en]”