This player ruined a game - suspect of cheating.

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
2pazzi

This player ruined a game - suspect of cheating.

Post by 2pazzi »

Today I quitted voluntarily game #308371266 because of player Moini11.

It was a one-per-time tile game, three players, and this player refused to close a city that would have granted him more than 50 points, to claim a city with a cathedral and three ends open, with just three remaining tiles left for the game.

When I inquired him for this behaviour he claimed he knew in advance the next tile. This is impossible without cheating.

I didn't want to be his jester, so I had no problems accepting the karma penalty, but I'd really want people to investigate on this behaviour.

Either it was kingmaking for the other player to win, or he did actually cheat, the move was TOO stupid to be just thought of "beginner's error". He played really good until that move, then he totally ruined the game.
cheval_raye

Re: This player ruined a game - suspect of cheating.

Post by cheval_raye »

With enough dedication, it is possible to remember every tile present in the game, so you can calculate the possible outcomes of every situation. Your opponent possibly knew which tiles were left to draw just by looking at the board, without cheating.
CinnamonSunflower

Post by CinnamonSunflower »

2pazzi wrote: 14 October 2022, 15:29 Today I quitted voluntarily game #308371266 because of player Moini11.

It was a one-per-time tile game, three players, and this player refused to close a city that would have granted him more than 50 points, to claim a city with a cathedral and three ends open, with just three remaining tiles left for the game.

When I inquired him for this behaviour he claimed he knew in advance the next tile. This is impossible without cheating.

I didn't want to be his jester, so I had no problems accepting the karma penalty, but I'd really want people to investigate on this behaviour.

Either it was kingmaking for the other player to win, or he did actually cheat, the move was TOO stupid to be just thought of "beginner's error". He played really good until that move, then he totally ruined the game.
You are reading way too much into this. If you replay the game, you can see that this opponent was not favouring your other opponent - earlier in the game they made a move that benefitted you enormously at no benefit to themselves (adding two tiles to your long road, along with a road-ending tile). This ultimately enabled you to put an inn on the road and score 24 points. They clearly did not see that you already had two meeples on that road.

These things happen in multi-player games - by not completing the cathedral city, they cost themselves a bundle of points as well. This is not kingmaking - it it just the way inexperienced players sometimes play.
2pazzi

Post by 2pazzi »

CinnamonSunflower wrote: 15 October 2022, 14:26 These things happen in multi-player games - by not completing the cathedral city, they cost themselves a bundle of points as well. This is not kingmaking - it it just the way inexperienced players sometimes play.
No, that's not possible. That was totally out of the contest.
Silene

Post by Silene »

People overlook stuff sometimes and when pointed out rather make a joking comment than admit their mistake ;)
Hosting Allround-League: https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=7870115 --> a league where you have matches of random games vs. other players in your group - season 6 started in Nov. '23 with 128 participants.
2pazzi

Post by 2pazzi »

Silene wrote: 16 October 2022, 09:23 People overlook stuff sometimes and when pointed out rather make a joking comment than admit their mistake ;)
You do not make such a mistake.
That was deliberate.
Dennis W

Post by Dennis W »

2pazzi wrote: 17 October 2022, 20:11
Silene wrote: 16 October 2022, 09:23 People overlook stuff sometimes and when pointed out rather make a joking comment than admit their mistake ;)
You do not make such a mistake.
That was deliberate.
Whether you are right or wrong is no longer really the issue. It's more about you being a Mind Reader and knowing with absolute certainty what a Stanger On The Internet is thinking......

Good Luck with That.
CraftyRaf

Post by CraftyRaf »

First of all, expert players indeed do count tiles and know what tiles are left. This isn't an expert player so he/she probably doesn't know what tiles are left. In any case, finishing the city is by far the best move, regardless if you know what the next tile is.

Even expert players make mistakes like this in random games (although it's rare), e.g. when the baby is crying, or when watching a movie while playing a game. This doesn't seem to be an expert player, so there is a real chance he just got distracted. And players tend to joke about a mistake rather than admitting the mistake.

Some players with low ELO don't know the exact rules. This player maybe doesn't know that a finished city gives double the points...
Some players with low ELO are not good at calculating points. I had opponents connecting their city with mine, for a net LOSS of 10 points. Does that make them a cheater, or does that make it a suspicious game?
By the way, blue should have taken 4 points for a road (a few moves earlier) while making it harder for green to finish the city. It's that suspicious too that blue didn't play it? He just didn't see it. Not playing the best move at lower leagues is standard. That doesn't make a player a cheater.

This is also the reason why top players tend to avoid games with 3 or 4 players. The player with the lowest ELO will most likely (and undeliberately) decide who of the other 3 players will win the game.

Return to “Carcassonne”