Request to remove VIRUS word from Just One

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
LesserJester

Re: Request to remove VIRUS word from Just One

Post by LesserJester »

I'm confused was this a serious request or sarcasm/satire or whatever the right word is? What is the concern, that virus is upsetting for some people? I don't see why it should be removed.
Goof_

Post by Goof_ »

DuckofDeathV wrote: 06 November 2022, 18:53 Also please remove the game Pandemic from BGA.
:lol:
beri

Post by beri »

This request should receive a little more empathy and weigh-up I think, rather than plain, straightforward rejection.
I can understand that some people were traumatized by what happened these years and/or wish their gaming time to be free of any negative thoughts.

No, "virus" is not offensive. Neither are pedo***ia, suic***, faeces, coitus, leucemia, phlegm. And yet, they may disturb some people based on their background. So would everyone agree to add these words?

No opinion on the matter, just adding grist to the mill.

This request deserves being thought out a little more deeply and, supposing the soundest option is to keep the word, then it would be much kinder to present good enough arguments, better than those in favor of removing it, instead of quick sarcasm or other sharp rejection.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

beri wrote: 16 December 2022, 22:33Neither are pedo***ia, suic***, faeces, coitus, leucemia, phlegm. And yet, they may disturb some people based on their background. So would everyone agree to add these words?
Nice strawman. None of those words are in the game. Come back when you find a game using them and we can discuss them on a case-by-case basis, not on a hypothetical basis.
beri

Post by beri »

"Nice strawman", "come back when you find…" isn’t a way to open the discussion, just like other unargumented dismissive comments. You may have seen my post as a provocation, and it was not. I’m open to any good, calmly exposed arguments on both sides.

Now, it doesn’t matter if other games use a certain word or not (ad populum if you like naming fallacies :) ). I was just posing a thought experiment.

What matters is, what makes "virus" acceptable in Just one despite it bothering/triggering some people, and not these other words? Again, I don’t have the answer.
mindbird

Post by mindbird »

Any word can be someone's"trigger " I see no problem with adding any of the " forbidden" words listed as examples, especially since variants (dung, screw) are already included. If one encounters a trigger word, one is free to leave the game and incur that mild penalty, particularly since they would have no plans to return.

Seriously, ANY word can represent a trigger for someone. How many people each year are badly injured by a pony, a ladder, a violin teacher, a hammer, a melanoma from too much sun, ......

This is not a reasonable request.

Return to “Just One”