Catan: a unfair game

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
pheldar

Catan: a unfair game

Post by pheldar »

Hi,

I've been a Magic player for 30 years: I know the effects of chance and statistics.

Catan is like MTG: to win is to play better or, and, to be luckier than your opponents.

Some say Catan is bugged, others say it's normal that stats aren't respected.

The problem is that Catan should be a fun family game and not a competitive game. You can't be satisfied when the dice show more 3s than 8s. And so on... Everyone has examples like this in mind.

The only solution would be to pipe the dice! :o

Create a patch that detects excessive variances and modifies the next rolls to return to low standard deviations.

It's the only solution to keep everyone happy and play fair games of Catan.

We could set that up and play a test version of this patched Catan.
michaelHastriter

Re: Catan: a unfair game

Post by michaelHastriter »

no way! It is fun getting a 2 and a 12 rolled when you desperately needed it. Depending on the deck you are running MTG has similar probability issues with card draws.

Maybe implement the card draw version of the dice expansion.
ChucksMom

Re: Catan: a unfair game

Post by ChucksMom »

I've been gaming for 45 years - I'm 71 - I belong to several live gaming groups and in all my years I have never seen such hateful, spiteful and downright mean play just to win a game. I just played my last game on board game arena and i was not disappointed - 2 particular players ganged up on the other 2 just to win the game - I think my nerves will settle down when I don't play with such stress. Going back to my other online games.

Return to “Catan”