Depletion of ticket pool

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
aluxorvin

Depletion of ticket pool

Post by aluxorvin »

I am not sure if anyone has pointed this out.

I would like BGA to include the number of cards remaining in the ticket pool, similar to Thurn and Taxis or other card games.

It is important for players to know when the ticket pool will reshuffle.

In particular, if there are more than 3 times 3 rainbow tickets are shown and discarded, meaning that there are 9 rainbow tickets discarded and will join the card pool after reshuffling. There will be a higher chance to get a rainbow ticket by blind draw after the reshuffle.

And, if a player needs a lot of tickets of certain color and he has collected some, he may wish to "return" those tickets by placing the trains first before the ticket pool depleted and is reshuffled. In that way, that player will have a higher probability to get back the colour tickets he wants again once reshuffle is triggered later on. For example, if the card pool is depleted and reshuffled without someone using yellow tickets, no one could get a yellow ticket from the reshuffled ticket pool, purely because, there are no yellow in there!

I find this very important and my play group in real life always observe/check before making his moves.

Hope BGA can improve this way. Thanks a lot.
Last edited by aluxorvin on 21 October 2022, 08:38, edited 1 time in total.
aluxorvin

Re: Depiction of ticket pool

Post by aluxorvin »

To add, since there are 14 rainbow tickets in the pool and when the ticket pool depicts, you shall immediately know how many rainbow tickets other have. (i.e. 14 minus the number of rainbow you hold); guessing how many rainbow others have is important too as it will change your move, if you anticipate some other players are competing with you on a particular 5 or 6-train road.
thoun

Re: Depletion of ticket pool

Post by thoun »

There already is a gauge next to the decks to have an idea of how many cards are left (works exactly the same as the TTR mobile/steam app).
aluxorvin

Post by aluxorvin »

thoun wrote: 21 October 2022, 09:16 There already is a gauge next to the decks to have an idea of how many cards are left (works exactly the same as the TTR mobile/steam app).
I did not play TTR mobile or Steam app. Maybe I am stupid but please point out where the game shows such information. Thank you.
atticusprime

Post by atticusprime »

The gauge is in blue.
It’s hard to distinguish the fill meter, it lacks contrast.
jmcl99

Post by jmcl99 »

The original post confused me at first but on reading I see that you are actually referring to the "train car" cards and not to the "destination ticket" cards.
bananasplay

Post by bananasplay »

jmcl99 wrote: 30 October 2022, 11:53 The original post confused me at first but on reading I see that you are actually referring to the "train car" cards and not to the "destination ticket" cards.
Yeah, I was confused, too.
atticusprime wrote: 29 October 2022, 16:19 The gauge is in blue.
It’s hard to distinguish the fill meter, it lacks contrast.
Agreed that it's hard to distinguish.

And the implementation would indeed be better if the precise number of cards were shown, rather than a vague meter, given that the quantity of cards in the game is always fixed and no one ever draws or plays an unspecified number of cards.
Please check my profile for a list of bugs that need upvotes so that BGA will maybe get around to fixing them.
ELFCubed

Post by ELFCubed »

It's also part of my strategy to keep a general idea of how many of each card have displayed and deduce something close to how many of which are still able to come up. If I get a destination that needs, say a 6 route, but it's mid-game and there are 4 or less of that color in the deck, i weigh that in deciding if I want it or not. The total number of cards is a little useful, but the distribution is more helpful.
SwHawk

Post by SwHawk »

ELFCubed wrote: 05 January 2023, 06:16 It's also part of my strategy to keep a general idea of how many of each card have displayed and deduce something close to how many of which are still able to come up. If I get a destination that needs, say a 6 route, but it's mid-game and there are 4 or less of that color in the deck, i weigh that in deciding if I want it or not. The total number of cards is a little useful, but the distribution is more helpful.
That's up to you to keep track of the cards that have been drawn and played. In a real game you wouldn't have the information of the card distribution, so you don't have access to it here as well. That's completely normal.
dhnyny

Post by dhnyny »

But in a "real" game you can eyeball the pile and see, oh, there are only a couple of cards left before we shuffle. In contrast, here there's only a goofy-looking gauge that is hard to read. Definitely form over function.

Return to “Ticket to Ride”