Multiplayer elimination - abandoned game - who goes through?

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
Gwalchers

Multiplayer elimination - abandoned game - who goes through?

Post by Gwalchers »

I'm in a Space Base tournament using Multiplayer Elimination.
Games are 4 player with 2 progressing.
I thought on previous games the longest remaining thinking time is used to decide which 2 player progress to the next round.
I have just had my first round game abandoned due to a player not taking their turns.

Of the 3 players who "won" I am eliminated despite having the most thinking time remaining and also most victory points.

What is the algorithm for determining which players progress when a game is abandoned ?
(I have looked but can't seem to find it)
Meeplelowda

Re: Multiplayer elimination - abandoned game - who goes through?

Post by Meeplelowda »

There is a fairly lengthy thread about this that's still on the first page of this Tournaments sub-forum: https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26659

tl;dr: The tournament framework was not originally designed for multi-player games and there is no consensus about how to handle multiple "tied" players advancing.
Gwalchers

Post by Gwalchers »

Thanks - I had a look but couldn't see it.
Having now read it it doesn't answer the question of what the rules are.
It looks like several people think it was based on remaining thinking time ... that is not now the case so it must be something else.

Does anyone know what the actual rule is?
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

Gwalchers wrote: 22 October 2022, 08:47 Thanks - I had a look but couldn't see it.
Having now read it it doesn't answer the question of what the rules are.
It looks like several people think it was based on remaining thinking time ... that is not now the case so it must be something else.

Does anyone know what the actual rule is?
All I know is that I don't know. I've seen speculation that it is based on the age of your account. But for every guess, I've yet to see a link either to a page on this site or a post by a site admin stating definitively how it is determined. I don't understand the downside to being transparent about it.
sprockitz

Post by sprockitz »

it is only based on most remaining thinking time if the game ends because it times out due to the tournament. In this case the 'score' is 3-2-1-0.

If someone kicks someone out then all bets are off. But in my experience finishing the game seems to help.
FSKFSK

Post by FSKFSK »

I think the tiebreaker is "age of account" when someone is kicked from a multiplayer elimination tournament for running out of time.

The option should be "replay with one fewer player (if possible)" or "everyone else advances".

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”