Suggestion: Being able to undo your turn during the start of phase 3

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
TearsOfJupiter

Suggestion: Being able to undo your turn during the start of phase 3

Post by TearsOfJupiter »

First, I'd like to say Equinox is an excellent game, and I thoroughly enjoy it. It has also been implemented quite well on this platform.

Nonetheless, I'd like to suggest that players be able to undo their whole turn when they're in phase 3 rather than having to live with their decisions/mistakes in phase 2. Let me give you some examples why. During a few games, I have accidentally made a secret bid when I meant to simply play the card (I was just playing too quickly without paying adequate attention to the prompts). Big mistake! Once I accidentally clicked the wrong card causing a creature I had control of to be eliminated. Yet another time, I played a card thinking I was about to eliminate an opponent's creature only to realize my own was actually the lowest, and I could have easily reinforced it. In each of these instances I noticed in phase 3, but I had no choice other than to discard some eliminated creature cards or skip phase 3, and then live with the consequences of my mistakes in phase 2. Perhaps I'm the only one who has done these things, but I also suspect I'm not.

Before you skip or discard in phase 3, provided there was no secret information you learned that was not known to you at the start of your turn, I think it's appropriate to allow you to undo your whole turn. Yes, this shouldn't be allowed if a creature power let you take a card from someone (e.g., Hoot or Goatman), learn about secret bids or hands (e.g., Hoot or a tree), or let you draw cards (e.g., Squeak), but it should be allowed the rest of the time.
Games like the Lost Ruins of Arnak allow for undoing a turn back to the point when you learned secret information, so I would imagine a similar undo function could also be implemented here.

Anyways, I'd be interested in hearing if others have made similar mistakes and would similarly like an undo button in phase 3.
manu205

Re: Suggestion: Being able to undo your turn during the start of phase 3

Post by manu205 »

my thoughts have come
Why is the general bidding done by clicking on the board and the secret bidding by clicking the hand?
If you do secret bids by clicking on the board, you won't have this stupid problem.
I've already missed 4 games and unless the opponent is a beginner, the secret bet miss-click is an instant loss, but it takes too long to withdraw.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

manu205 wrote: 27 October 2022, 22:13 my thoughts have come
Why is the general bidding done by clicking on the board and the secret bidding by clicking the hand?
If you do secret bids by clicking on the board, you won't have this stupid problem.
I've already missed 4 games and unless the opponent is a beginner, the secret bet miss-click is an instant loss, but it takes too long to withdraw.
Because you need a card to place a secret bid whereas you place a pebble on the board for a public one ? Why would be surprised by this difference ?
manu205

Post by manu205 »

I think it makes sense to first click on the board to target it and then click the card in your hand.
Surrendering right away with miss-clicks is unavoidable, but it wastes too much time to reach 50% progress.
TearsOfJupiter

Post by TearsOfJupiter »

I agree that it probably makes more sense (purely from the point of view of preventing mistakes) to click the board first and then be prompted to click a card for a secret bid or click a button saying it's a standard bid. However, the current system is fine provided you can undo your turn in phase 3. And changing how secret bids are made wouldn't prevent other mistakes that I've made in this game only to realize a second or two later what I've done, but implementing a phase 3 undo-your-turn button would.

Return to “Equinox”