Suggestion: More Words

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
TearsOfJupiter

Suggestion: More Words

Post by TearsOfJupiter »

I really like this game. There is something addicting to it. Here's the problem: I've played 10 games of it, and I see more repeat words than new words. Perhaps this is just unlucky ancedotal experience, but the game loses a lot of its fun when there aren't any more novel words. Thus, I was wondering if there was a way that more words can be added.
Snowcrash000

Re: Suggestion: More Words

Post by Snowcrash000 »

I've noticed exactly the same thing.
aghagh

Post by aghagh »

There are 550 words in the word pool. Although there might be some repetition if you play a few games in a row, you will end up seeing them all if you play enough games.
Earthboundia

Post by Earthboundia »

To be honest this is the reason why I play this on and off. If you play it too much you will end up seeing lots of duplicates, if you don't like it then I would recommend taking a couple of weeks break then come back to it or don't play it extensively when you do.
TearsOfJupiter

Post by TearsOfJupiter »

aghagh wrote: 28 October 2022, 23:58 There are 550 words in the word pool. Although there might be some repetition if you play a few games in a row, you will end up seeing them all if you play enough games.
If this is true, then I've had some really bad luck with the random number generator. I've played 18 games now, and I think my last 8 had, at most, one or two new words per game, maybe three.
clash

Post by clash »

550 words is extremely few in a game when you use 13 words in one play :o :o

The probability of having an already known word seems very high even with less than 10 games played.
I have played 6 games and I have already had 6 "double" words...

Wouldn't it be possible to contact the copyright holder to see if he agrees to have words added to the BGG version? A database of 10'000 words seems to be a good start (including proper names for example), and finding such a database seems easy.
Dan Funk

Post by Dan Funk »

Password was always one of my favorite games so I was very excited about Just One when I first played it. But there are so many duplicates that the game is basically not worth playing at all. Someone here said they have only 550 words. Is that true? Why is that? Given how many duplicates I've seen in only a handful of games I doubt it is nearly that high even. If you know what the word is already or what clues have been given in the past there is no challenge.
Wreckage

Post by Wreckage »

I've been playing with friends a lot. The game was getting very redundant very quickly.

But then we started playing with only 4 players at our tables, which allows each player to give two clues. We started having a general policy that we can't give the same clues we have given in the past. With two word clues, it really opens up the possibilities of how many different and interesting ways to clue these same old words. It's been helping a lot to keep the game fresh for us.
alicebob

Post by alicebob »

Same here, we just played two games in a row and there the first three words of the 2nd game were duplicates of the first game. That's weirdly unlikely.

Even if the pool of cards is tiny, a button to replace the card would already help a lot.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

Dan Funk wrote: 08 December 2022, 07:42Someone here said they have only 550 words. Is that true? Why is that?
Because BGA attempts to faithfully recreate the physical game. The physical game does not have 10,000 words. Just because online the word list could literally be every word in every language doesn't mean that a large word list will automatically be incorporated on BGA when the game is adapted. Deviation from the physical game requires approval by the rights holder, as alluded to by another poster.

So the people who really care about this need to reach out to Repos Production to get the ball rolling.

Return to “Just One”