Next Arena Season Rules

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Lumin_S

Re: Next Arena Season Rules

Post by Lumin_S »

jinncarry wrote: 20 November 2022, 09:19What's really formidable is Spotted Towhee + Canada Goose or Sandhill Crane. That combo is nearly impossible to beat if it's ready to go before round 4 begins. But these engines each require 2-3 specific or semi-specific cards out of 170 and crucial setup time, so the balance is pretty much there.
How is this overpowered? It's 2 cards that give you 2 points. 2 tuck-and-draw cards in a row would also do this and let you improve the cards in your hand.
jinncarry

Re: Next Arena Season Rules

Post by jinncarry »

michaelHastriter wrote: 20 November 2022, 16:07
jinncarry wrote: 20 November 2022, 09:19 If anything, bonus cards are overpowered, with the exceptions of Bird Feeder and Breeding Manager, which are underpowered.
What bonus cards are overpowered? All of them with the exception of those 2? If a majority of the cards are overpowered doesn't that just make them all average?
I'm not saying all but two bonus cards are overpowered with respect to each other. I'm saying bonus cards as a class are usually at the top end of options to play compared to non-bonus cards (in a vacuum, not in every context), partly due to their solid bird point values and complementary food and nest types in addition to the bonus points, of course. Don't read too much into it. I'm only giving an example of something (in my opinion) is more worthy of being labeled "overpowered" than Wood Duck being included in the arena modified deck.
Lumin_S wrote: 20 November 2022, 19:20
jinncarry wrote: 20 November 2022, 09:19What's really formidable is Spotted Towhee + Canada Goose or Sandhill Crane. That combo is nearly impossible to beat if it's ready to go before round 4 begins. But these engines each require 2-3 specific or semi-specific cards out of 170 and crucial setup time, so the balance is pretty much there.
How is this overpowered? It's 2 cards that give you 2 points. 2 tuck-and-draw cards in a row would also do this and let you improve the cards in your hand.
Notice I never said it was overpowered. I only said it was very strong. Like I mentioned above, it's just an example of something stronger than Wood Duck by itself. And it's strong in the grasslands, as you're laying eggs and tucking 2 cards not from your hand on every activation with no exceptions, along with activating whatever other powers reside in that row. In the case of tuck-and-draw cards, sometimes a player will skip a tuck or two if they drew cards they intend to play (but might not even get a chance to). That makes it a more reliable source of points and simply worth mentioning. That's all I'm saying.

Return to “Wingspan”