Common BGA Yahtzee rule misconceptions

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
mitcharf

Common BGA Yahtzee rule misconceptions

Post by mitcharf »

Reviewing the Yahtzee bugs filed here on BGA, I see a few misconceptions about the rules come up repeatedly. Both concern rolling Yahtzees (that is, five of the same number).

Notes: This is about Yahtzee specifically, not Yams.
This is based on the English rules linked from BGA itself. I realize that different versions of the game have had different rules, but since we're playing on BGA, those are the rules we're using. (Suggestions can be filed to make changes to these, of course)

1- Why did someone get 100/150/250/… for their Yahtzees?

A player scores 50 points for their first Yahtzee. If a player rolls a Yahtzee, and had previously scored 50 for a Yahtzee, then they automatically get 100 bonus points – on top of whatever points they get for using those dice. Note that this means that once you choose to score a 0 in your Yahtzee row, it will always be 0 – the bonus points are only if you didn't put a 0 in that row.

This is why the Yahtzee row will always be 0, 50 (one Yahtzee), 150 (two Yahtzees), 250 (three Yahtzees), and so on.

2a- How did a player roll a Yahtzee and score it as a large straight?
2b- Why is it forcing me to play my Yahtzee in the 2's row?

If a player rolls a Yahtzee and their Yahtzee row already has been used (whether with a 0 or otherwise), then they can place the Yahtzees as jokers. If you see a game log entry saying "joker rules apply", then this is what it refers to.

There are constraints on how these can be used:

a. If the appropriate upper row has not been scored, then you must use them there. (e. g. If you roll 2-2-2-2-2 and the 2 upper row has not been scored, then you have to score them there).

b. Otherwise, it can be used to score any lower row. For straights and full houses, you receive the standard score. For the others, you receive the sum of the dice faces, like usual.

Return to “Yahtzee”