Solo Automa questions/ cheating?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Swfcdan

Solo Automa questions/ cheating?

Post by Swfcdan »

I have been trying to learn the game so decided to try a solo game vs 2 Automas set on easy.

But they seem to be both taking 2 turns in a row each time- is that a deliberate mechanic of the automa rules?
But also I'd set up to generate energy from 2 droplets in a neutral dam, then I see the automa somehow generates energy from that dam using that water before I could. Yes they can use my conduit (and did) but they didn't have a connected power station! So how can they make energy? They then built a generator there immediately after, possibly using a contract bonus, else it was another double turn they were having (just to kick me further in the teeth).

Can someone explain how this is allowed? It makes no sense that automas can just generate energy from water wherever they like, despite not having the needed infrastructure.
I've switched the game to turn-based and have a link below:

https://boardgamearena.com/7/barrage?table=315527588#

The game is challenging enough as it is without the automa apparently cheating!
T72on1

Re: Solo Automa questions/ cheating?

Post by T72on1 »

I haven't checked your game. The things you describe might be a bug (they sure sound like it), but in my experience the game has been implemented extremely well, so it's actually rather unlikely it's a bug, and probably something else is going on.

The automa produces really often, as it's always it's number 1 priority on his 'checklist'. Having said that, the automa has to follow the same rules human player have to follow: they can only produce through the following: neutral or own dam, any conduit, own powerstation.

Automa always takes it's turn before the human player, but only once, not twice.

Edit: I have troubles with the replay. But from the game log it seems to me the automa first built a power central next to yours, in it's next turn generated power through the neutral dam bottom left, your conduit and it's own powerhouse, and then built a new powerhouse to the left of it's existing one.
tinpan70

Post by tinpan70 »

I've had the same experiences. It's like the automa takes 2 turns!! And I've also noticed that it sometimes only uses 2 workers in a 3 required space.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

tinpan70 wrote: 13 November 2022, 09:48 I've had the same experiences. It's like the automa takes 2 turns!! And I've also noticed that it sometimes only uses 2 workers in a 3 required space.
Second part is not a bug though ;)
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

Also don't forget that the automa has some actions that don't end it's turn, like discarding contracts and having water drop. So yes, it's possible that the automa makes two actions in a row. That is still one single turn though.
tinpan70

Post by tinpan70 »

So how can 2 workers be used in a 3 slot space please?
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

tinpan70 wrote: 15 November 2022, 09:48 So how can 2 workers be used in a 3 slot space please?
The amount of workers needed for the automa isn't defined by the action space, but by it's card. It's maybe not clear from automated, digital play (the downside of the awesome job Tisaac did, I guess :p ) , but the way the automa's work is that each time it's their turn, a card gets drawn with sort of a flowchart on it which action the automa has to do. On that card, it's also indicated how many workers have to be used, overwriting the amount of workers on the action space it will be placed on. Even if all action spaces on a certain action are occupied by workers, automa's can still do that action.
Tisaac

Post by Tisaac »

tinpan70 wrote: 15 November 2022, 09:48 So how can 2 workers be used in a 3 slot space please?
To make it even clearer, Automa is never actually using an action space.
The effect is determined by the automa cards on the top right of the screen, not by where it places its worker.
The fact that he is placing worker on actual work space instead of just putting them aside is just here to piss off real players.
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

Tisaac wrote: 15 November 2022, 11:12
To make it even clearer, Automa is never actually using an action space.
The effect is determined by the automa cards on the top right of the screen, not by where it places its worker.
The fact that he is placing worker on actual work space instead of just putting them aside is just here to piss off real players.
And you can be sure it does piss them off :p . I do have the impression our dear developper somehow gets some sadistic satisfaction out of that ;) . You are my hero forever for implementing the game here in such a great way though, so don't be afraid I'll get back to you for it ...

To expand on what Tisaac said, the automa workers get placed on the first available space of that action, starting at the top left, going down, and then to the right side. So you could for example end up in a situation where the automa has 1 direct water drop (the one actually going down immediately) as his action, but his worker or workers get placed on the 2 indirect water drop space, because that is still available.
tinpan70

Post by tinpan70 »

Ooohhhhhh. Automa got advantage then. Makes sense now thanks. Makes it challenging but not a bad thing I guess. Trying to decide if like it enough to find a hardcopy. Growing on me. ;)

Return to “Barrage”