the option to turn off the real-time display of scores

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
chankochan

the option to turn off the real-time display of scores

Post by chankochan »

Wingspan at the BGA, having a blast!

If I could make one improvement to make the game better from me, it would be about the game score display.

Currently, it shows each player's score in real time, but could developer give us an option to hide real-time score?
I think that option would make the game more exciting, not knowing the outcome of the game until the end....

Thanks for reading this far!

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Ehrine

Re: the option to turn off the real-time display of scores

Post by Ehrine »

Pretty sure the real time scores only show the public information (round end goals, points on cards, eggs, tucked cards etc). As such it's only showing you information you could work out for yourself fairly easily.
Equally, it _doesn't_ show the hidden scores from the bonus cards. As a result, unless someone has a clear lead, you probably _don't_ know the outcome until the end.
bananasplay

Post by bananasplay »

kochankochan wrote: 11 November 2022, 07:44 Wingspan at the BGA, having a blast!

If I could make one improvement to make the game better from me, it would be about the game score display.

Currently, it shows each player's score in real time, but could developer give us an option to hide real-time score?
I think that option would make the game more exciting, not knowing the outcome of the game until the end....

Thanks for reading this far!

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
I don't understand why some people feel that knowing less about a game's state somehow makes the game more exciting, but if this request is ever implemented, I hope that it's done purely on a per-player basis, the same as the choice of background or whether or not to enable tooltips.
Ehrine wrote: 11 November 2022, 13:53 Pretty sure the real time scores only show the public information (round end goals, points on cards, eggs, tucked cards etc). As such it's only showing you information you could work out for yourself fairly easily.
As Ehrine correctly observes here, the real-time scores are merely the total of the already public information; it is information already known but merely presented in a way that saves interested players from wasting time doing what a computer does best: counting things. :-p
Please check my profile for a list of bugs that need upvotes so that BGA will maybe get around to fixing them.
Fletcheese

Post by Fletcheese »

bananasplay wrote: 11 November 2022, 13:56
Ehrine wrote: 11 November 2022, 13:53 Pretty sure the real time scores only show the public information (round end goals, points on cards, eggs, tucked cards etc). As such it's only showing you information you could work out for yourself fairly easily.
As Ehrine correctly observes here, the real-time scores are merely the total of the already public information; it is information already known but merely presented in a way that saves interested players from wasting time doing what a computer does best: counting things. :-p
"Fairly easily" is doing a lot of work here. You would have to try to calculate everyone's current score between eggs, birds, and tucks and op obviously doesn't want to do that. They want to save that knowledge for the end of the game. You don't have to understand why they want that, they just like a different thing than you.

Whether a "hide the score" option is worth the developer's time is a whole other issue. I recommend raising this as a suggestion in the proper channel where others can vote on it: https://boardgamearena.com/bugs?game=1635
pjt33

Post by pjt33 »

If you want to hide it for yourself while not hiding it for your opponents, you can do that already.
  1. Copy this text:

Code: Select all

.bgagame-wingspan .player_score {
        visibility: hidden;
    }
  2. Go to https://boardgamearena.com/preferences?section=advanced
  3. In the big box, paste the text you copied in the first step and click "Save".
  4. Reload the page.
If you decide you don't like it, you can go back to the same page, clear the box, save and reload.
chankochan

Post by chankochan »

Thanks for showing us how to do!

Return to “Wingspan”