Had to say something...

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
wortsenawl

Had to say something...

Post by wortsenawl »

So, I have had my share of games that didn't go my way, or where I was a dead cert. to win, but ya know... fate transpired against me and I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. To be fair, I think we have all been there. I ignore that sarcastic voice in my head that tells me that "this happens way more against the top ranked players, than those lower down"... who wants a hard truth, right?

But, never have I ever!

So, having just snatched a victory from from another player and typing the customary "gg" (which sometimes I cannot bring myself to do as I am smarting from the beatdown I took, and I have both said and had said to me "only for one of us," but always sending a polite message after so there are no hard feelings), I got a rather odd/rude reply and I had to share.

"yes, but I am better than you!"

Then followed a rant about luck, and how he can't beat me if luck stops him.

I said "um, okay... well you know the old saying! Better to be lucky than good"

I don't think the person liked that very much.

Just viewed the profile of the person and see that they won their first game 2 days ago, perhaps etiquette hasn't found them yet.
Meeplelowda

Re: Had to say something...

Post by Meeplelowda »

wortsenawl wrote: 16 November 2022, 17:59 "yes, but I am better than you!"

Then followed a rant about luck, and how he can't beat me if luck stops him.
This person sounds like an immature sore loser. A harsh reality that some players face is that they may be the best in their personal over-the-board gaming group because they've played a game 100s of times and their friends haven't. Then they come on BGA and run into people who have literally played the game thousands of times against tougher competition. It just doesn't compute for them that they aren't nearly good as they thought they were as a big fish in a small pond. I thought I was pretty decent at Carcassonne until I played on here. Nope. I am completely outclassed. The ability to have a little humility softens the blow.
wortsenawl

Post by wortsenawl »

Totally agree re humility. I mean I have good days and bad days. I make stupid mistakes and stuff, which means I can beat the best, but not consistently. I know where my weakness is, I try to improve. Try.

I also know that some days I don’t present the best version of me. In those moments I tend to stay quiet, or end up looking / sounding foolish… and then comes the regret.

I don’t think I’ve ever got into hot water over being too humble.
DebbieMJ

Post by DebbieMJ »

I can totally relate to not always wanting to say gg (cos sometimes it realllllly doesn't feel like a good game lol).

I can also relate to sore losers...

Won an Arena game just now against someone with higher ranking than me - it was a fairly close game.

So I put 'gg' - cos never hurts to be polite - right?

Well, clearly my opponent didn't feel the same...their response was "You want a medal?". Just feels so rude...

Surely saying nothing if their nose was out of joint would be better than clearly being a sore loser? Needless to say I've red thumbed them as really would prefer not to play against someone like that ever again
jeannette 1

Post by jeannette 1 »

Ahahah
When someone says to me "gg" when i have just lost, it sounds just like he make fun of me ;-)
If someone has lost, it's actually because it was NOT a good game.
I really don't understand this "gg" thing : just say thanks , good bye, next time ... and so ,on but not "gg" to someone who has just lost.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

jeannette 1 wrote: 28 December 2022, 09:24 Ahahah
When someone says to me "gg" when i have just lost, it sounds just like he make fun of me ;-)
I really don't understand this "gg" thing : just say thanks , good bye, next time ... and so ,on but not "gg" to someone who has just lost.
So you are saying you think the only way for a game to be good is if you win? You've never enjoyed a game you lost because it was a tough fight against skilled competition and you had fun?
Reish Galuta

Post by Reish Galuta »

I think I know.who you are talking about. I've had the exact same conversation with them :)
Some top players are really nice, even when you beat them.
Some people are just salty.
There is a cultural difference though.
For some people gg = Thanks for the game,
For others it implicitly includes a "well played" on it, which can hit different if it was not.
Outside of all that, a game can be well played, but not "good" if variance was especially high.

In any event, it's best to err on the side of assuming good intentions and we're all here yo.have fun.
pjt33

Post by pjt33 »

jeannette 1 wrote: 28 December 2022, 09:24 When someone says to me "gg" when i have just lost, it sounds just like he make fun of me ;-)
Surely that depends on how close it was. If the score is 100-50 then it does sound sarcastic (although if I'm the winning player in that situation and the losing player says gg I will reply gg), but if the score is 76-75 and the winner says gg first then it's a simple acknowledgement of a worthy adversary.
chrisheisis

Post by chrisheisis »

Haha, the first time i didnot realize wat gg means: i thought that it is short for giggling- so i lost the game and thought that the other player laughed about me… can you imagine how that felt!? I am really happy that this community is much nicer than i thought at that moment!! :lol:
jeannette 1

Post by jeannette 1 »

Meeplelowda wrote: 28 December 2022, 10:17
jeannette 1 wrote: 28 December 2022, 09:24 Ahahah
So you are saying you think the only way for a game to be good is if you win? You've never enjoyed a game you lost because it was a tough fight against skilled competition and you had fun?
All depends on the mood of the game : most people never even say "hello" , or any polite word to begin.
I have spent joyful time with fun people speaking in coments , no matter if i was losing or wining.
But most of time i have the feeling to play againt AI without souls

Return to “Azul”