Tournament Etiquette

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
wortsenawl

Tournament Etiquette

Post by wortsenawl »

Hello all, need some (friendly) advice please.

Yesterday I participated in my first (2p) Azul tournament, today I wish I had not. A little background and then perhaps people can explain. The tournament was played over 48hrs with each player having 24hrs to complete their moves; 14 games simultaneously. By the end of the first 24 hours I had finished 11 of the 14 games, with the remaining three against players who had barely taken a move (their respective clocks dwindling to the wrong side of 5 hours).

Then comes the note from the tournament Admin.

"What you are doing is deplorable, you don't want to play with some players with little time left ... I know it and I have proofs. Will you really enjoy such a victory? Congratz that is such a great success! You should be ashamed. I'm tournament administrator and I will report you for that! "

At this point, I was top of the leaderboard. One of the remaining players was 1 of 2 players who could overtake me.

I said it was a little far fetched to accuse me of this behaviour when I have 4 x the amount of time remaining. I also explained that there was some weird things happening and I suspected a player being coached or playing 2 accounts. Of course, I had no proof, so was reticent to say anything, but was trying to gather evidence.

I was told I would be reported. They had checked my game logs and they could see I was not actively playing against one player- this is partially true, I was sporadically taking goes, but really felt there was something not right about the game... another player, their friend, was spectating on EVERY game they had outstanding. Also, they had an outstanding game against said friend (in the same tournament) and hadn't taken a single turn.

I spoke to the person directly and asked if they were double playing. They said no, to which I replied I was happy to finish the game then. Everything was hunky dory, we were chatting. Until he lost. Then the anger came. ("I am glad we will never meet again.")

The kicker... the admin is a friend of this person in question.

The admin had no interest in what I had to say, only that it takes "10 mins to finish and you should!." In defence of their friend "They were busy and didn't have time yesterday, but they do now."

Again, re-iterating the intent to report me. (Though I am still at a loss what for).

What is the etiquette here? I have read some people saying you should consider the clock as part of the game, and normally I will kick people if it runs out, because of negative past experience. In any case, no clocks ran out. All but one game was completed because the other player timed out for everyone.

Personally, I think the admin should have contacted me for a conversation first, before jumping to conclusions. Immediately defending their friend and firmly taking the side of their friend. No matter what I said, minds had been made up. I tried to explain that we all have things that take our attention away, I am not obligated to take my turns any faster than the game timer dictates and if the other player is unhappy then they shouldn't run their own clock down (it only takes 10 mins remember). It is too easy to assume some nefarious activity just because we have no visibility of what is happening 1/2 way across the world.

Thoughts?
Meeplelowda

Re: Tournament Etiquette

Post by Meeplelowda »

wortsenawl wrote: 18 November 2022, 00:07 Thoughts?
You are playing within the rules. There is nothing to report, and if they try nothing will come of it. And unless the admin makes the tournament invitation only next time, there is nothing they can do to you. Of course, why would you want to play in a tournament organized by this person again anyway?
wortsenawl

Re: Tournament Etiquette

Post by wortsenawl »

Meeplelowda wrote: 18 November 2022, 02:22 Of course, why would you want to play in a tournament organized by this person again anyway?
I don’t, and will not. I wanted perspective. I reported the messages and decided to let BGA admin determine what actions should be taken. Suffice to say, I had nothing to worry about.

Return to “Azul”