Kicking players out of games

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
hertelwulf

Kicking players out of games

Post by hertelwulf »

It happened to me a few times and I am aware that this is difficult to deal with cause its not violating any rules, but why oh why do people just kick out other players from games a few seconds after their clock has expired. No talking to the person whose time ran out, no asking the others how long to wait, nothing. *, sometimes life just interferes. Even when I apologize before, saying that I unfortunately have to leave for about 5 minutes and explicitly ask to please not kick me rightaway, many players just would kick me anyway in the very moment my clock runs out. Can we please please please do something against that. I mean, this behaviour really destroys gaming on the platform. Like it literally destroys it (unlike me writing a word like "*" from line 3). Is there anyone here who has the same opinion or am I alone in this (cant imagine that)? I mean I dont really know what to do against it, but if the chat proves you apologized before and the clock proves that you were kicked second after your clock expired, shouldnt there be a way to report this behaviour? Admnis, any ideas?

Cheers, hertelwulf

*Moderator edit: please remember BGA is a family-friendly platform and cursing is not permitted
hertelwulf

Re: Kicking players out of games

Post by hertelwulf »

Just noticed that I am apparently not the only one with the problem (topic "bad behaviour" is about the same thing), the comments there suggest to report the player. Ok, I would like that, but honestly are those players ever punished for kicking players out??? Admins, do you ever do that? FOr some reason I doubut and on some level I also understand why.
GeraldineMerida

Post by GeraldineMerida »

Best you can do is red thumb them 'for another reason', because you consider them guilty of bad sportsmanship.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

Why? Because they can. Maybe they don't have time to wait for everyone. Maybe they're tired of people not playing fast enough when they specifically ask for fast games. Maybe it's just a "rule" they can use to their advantage.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

hertelwulf wrote: 20 November 2022, 20:22the comments there suggest to report the player.
One person said that and of course you latched on to that one. It is perfectly allowed to expel someone the moment their clock hits 0 (plus the 20-second countdown). Everyone is subject to the same restriction and if you don't like it there are alternatives. It's not like there is only one universal time control on BGA and everyone must play within it. It's not nice or friendly, but it violates no rule so there is nothing to report or punish.
cigma

Post by cigma »

Meeplelowda wrote: 21 November 2022, 00:00 It's not nice or friendly, but it violates no rule so there is nothing to report or punish.
I agree with Meeplelowda.

Although I probably wouldn't kick a player in this situation (it never happened to me in more than 3000 games), I think it is rather inconvenient for the other players. They have to wait for 5 minutes and can't play anything else (real time) in between. If they do something else, like browse other BGA-pages or the internet, they are likely to miss the boat themselves. Then when the game continues, all players are annoyed by the ticking clock.

So maybe it would be helpful to ask not only to wait for 5 minutes, but also to change to turn-based.
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
Hagardunor

Post by Hagardunor »

hertelwulf wrote: 20 November 2022, 20:22 Just noticed that I am apparently not the only one with the problem (topic "bad behaviour" is about the same thing), the comments there suggest to report the player. Ok, I would like that, but honestly are those players ever punished for kicking players out??? Admins, do you ever do that? FOr some reason I doubut and on some level I also understand why.
I am the one who published the "bad behaviour" topic.

What I blamed is the opponents using a rule to bias the game when I only lost time trying to bring some sort of social wellbeeing in the game.

I agree that the question you raise is close to mine. One does not have to kick you out the very microsecond your time is over. That's called fair play and social behaviour in some places.
stefko007

Post by stefko007 »

I would say kicking slow playing players is good. There is a time limit on the game, nobody wants to spend an eternity playing a game, you forget what you do if the other player is slow .. If you wait too long for the opponent, the game loses sense.

However, I personally don't kick players as long as I see there is actually a chance we might finish the game. On the other hand, if I see the game is going to be abandoned, I kick the player in the first nanosecond of the first millisecond of the clock turning negative. Why? Because he is wasting my time.
Sheba-leila

Post by Sheba-leila »

ist ja nett das 3 geschwindigkeitsstufen angeboten werden wobei der erste zug bei allen geschwindigkeitsstufen gleich ist. das ist einfach lächerlich bei langen spielen muß man zu schauen wie der anderen bei jedem zug 3 minuten braucht. für mich ist das keine auswahl an 3 geschwindigkeiten. und die nächste frage man sieht doch die optionen wenn man in ein spiel einsteigt warum nehmen langsame spieler die schnellste stufe wenn sie so lange brauchen zum denken oder was weiß ich was und sich dann beschweren . vielleicht liegt es ja daran das sie gekickt werden.
Fuddly

Post by Fuddly »

Why? Because it gives the poor players a chance to win one. Most likely their only chance. Don't let it upset you...let them have their fun...don't take their fun away.

Have fun with what you got...If you’re not enjoying it, don’t do it.

Return to “Discussions”