MEMOIR'44: One of the most popular wargames, now available on Board Game Arena!

Board Game Arena Official announcements
Captain Archaic

Re: MEMOIR'44: One of the most popular wargames, now available on Board Game Arena!

Post by Captain Archaic »

Same problem as always with this game. Units should get weaker as they take casualties and there should be a choice of cards instead of depending on sheer luck. When FANTASY FLIGHT bought BATTLELORE II and then made an APP they fixed the problem in the APP!!!! Now you have cards to play for each sector (exhausts when played) then a card that refreshes all those cards when played also allowing you to move 1 unit anywhere on the map. There is also a selection of 1 time use cards that both players have the same copies of (eliminates one player getting all the real GOOD cards) that are discarded from the game when played. A MUCH better system and one I easily adapted into all my Borg games of this sort.
MagnusNygaard

Re: MEMOIR'44: One of the most popular wargames, now available on Board Game Arena!

Post by MagnusNygaard »

Captain Archaic wrote: 03 December 2022, 01:01 Same problem as always with this game. Units should get weaker as they take casualties and there should be a choice of cards instead of depending on sheer luck. (snip)
I think you're looking at this all wrong. The "hits" in Memoir44 isn't number of soldiers/tanks, etc. It represents a unit's combat effectiveness. In modern war, as long as the machine gun keeps firing, it doesn't matter if there's 10 or 2 soldiers left in the unit. It doesn't matter if you have 1 or 3 armored vehicles if they're out of ammo. This isn't masses of muskets firing or armored knights charging, where numbers do matter a lot more.
You should consider the "hits" of Memoir44 as a counter of how long a unit can suffer direct fire.

Besides, the weakening of units would just make the game both slower and much more dependent on the initial roll of dice. You're just making the game being decided in the early couple of rounds instead of in the middle/end game as it is in Memoir44. I recommend the chapter 15 of the Strategy Guide if you want to understand how timing works in this game. I love a good come-back game, and the mechanics of Memoir44 helps with this.

As for the cards - they're not luck at all... again - see the Strategy Guide chapter 14 (this is a free download on the DoW site).
fourkku

Post by fourkku »

we need more popular game such as Dixit, camel up, when i dream, insider
please !! you are nice
The Luggage

Post by The Luggage »

Fantastic game and implementation on this one. Great job all.
K-Ron0508

Post by K-Ron0508 »

Thank you so much, Tisaac and vincentt!

I love Memoir 44, and I have been having great fun playing it on the board game arena site.
ahmad88

Post by ahmad88 »

Which scenarios are free?
MagnusNygaard

Post by MagnusNygaard »

ahmad88 wrote: 11 December 2022, 20:06 Which scenarios are free?
ALLLLLL OF THEM!

...oh - well, you need to be Premium... So only Pegasus Bridge and Mere St.Eglise...
Ryan76

Post by Ryan76 »

M44 has been in my top 10 for nearly 15 years. It's one of my favorite games (the only 2-player game probably in my top 30), but I only rarely could get someone to play it with me. Most of my plays over the years have been multi-hand solo, where I play both sides to the best of my ability, not favoring either (I just take out the Ambushes as I have a hard time "forgetting" they're in the other players hand and not having it affect whether I close assault or not - everything else I might know about the other player's hand I seem to be able to ignore).

I had dabbled with M44 on Steam, but didn't enjoy playing against the AI that much and I didn't want to try to organize game or play with strangers. I was very excited about M44 coming to BGA, but thought I would have the same issue. Then I discovered Hot Seat existed (don't know how I never knew about this for other games either), and it has become my new addiction. I'm having such a blast going through all the scenarios solo.

Thank you so much to everyone involved for bringing this to BGA!!!!!

Return to “Official announcements [en]”