Wonder Scenario

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Fuddly

Wonder Scenario

Post by Fuddly »

I think it might be possible to manipulate the game, where we can eliminate certain cards from a Scenario, and have [fixed} objectives decide the outcome (victor) of the Battle.

Is it Possible for a Scenario to have more Medals than units?
Example: player 1 needs 15 medals to win (end) the game...having only 14 enemy units on the gameboard.
MagnusNygaard

Re: Wonder Scenario

Post by MagnusNygaard »

Yes it's quite possible.
I wouldn't recommend it - but there are maps like that.

In general a good map has about double the number of enemy units as the number of medals required.

But one of the most interesting maps when it comes to medals - vs. victory conditions is Wake Island: https://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/e ... w/?id=1599

There are only exactly 6 Allied units available, but a lot of victory locations. HOWEVER, if you take a victory location as the Axis, you're down 1 unit each time. So while it can seem impossible to defend for the Allies, it's quite useful to just retreat to a defendable "flank" rather than trying to defend everything. Each time the Japanese take a location, they need to leave a unit to claim it, weakening their follow up attack.

One thing I've yet to experiment with, personally, is to have different number of Victory Points for the different sides (i.e. the Axis need 6 medals, but the Allies only 5 or something similar). I have a few historical situations where that might be a good simulation of what actually happened (like when one of the less concerned generals decides to go "human wave" on their opponent and accept horrible losses).
Wiking44

Post by Wiking44 »

Fuddly wrote: 27 November 2022, 08:40 I think it might be possible to manipulate the game, where we can eliminate certain cards from a Scenario, and have [fixed} objectives decide the outcome (victor) of the Battle.

Is it Possible for a Scenario to have more Medals than units?
Example: player 1 needs 15 medals to win (end) the game...having only 14 enemy units on the gameboard.
For the board game you can make up any criteria you want but to use the M44 Editor to create a scenario will only let you choose 12 medals maximum
Fuddly

Post by Fuddly »

What if you could allow players to trigger game events (just like tabletop), using Computer Version of M44? I'm not a M44 Scenario designer. But if a Scenario included an Area (on the gameboard) allowing players to enter/exit a hex, in order to trigger a particular event.

Example: Air Power card is not playable...If a player draws the Airpower card - then (only then) move unit onto the trigger hex and collect an addition card. If a card is not allowed in the Scenario, simply allow the player who draw's the card, draw an additional card.
But one of the most interesting maps when it comes to medals - vs. victory conditions is Wake Island:
What if we could make it much more interesting? The "Just retreat" you are referring to is the left flank...by no means is it easy. There are five out of six medals on the left flank. This Scenario might be made a bit more interesting; having the Axis player capture at least one additional objective from one or two other fronts (where the was no real way of doing that, there is now)?

Once victory objective is Captured...Move unit (like pressing a button), signifying victory conditions have been met...Manually ending the game.
I didn't fully explain ...trusting your imagination/creativity will take over.

Return to “Memoir 44”