New lobby (integrated to game page)

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Affogato101

Re: New lobby (integrated to game page)

Post by Affogato101 »

I need some help with this new layout - I cannot understand how to use it and none of my regular opponents find it accessible either - the old system was very clear and easy to understand - I need help in how to accept a game invite as I cannot easily see how to do this
bamsedog

Post by bamsedog »

My usual method of using BGA is to hit tables for three different games and play whichever fills up first. Although not a Premium member at the moment, when I have been I'll wait at many more than three tables. It is one of the main attractions for me of paying for Premium membership.
Since this is impossible with the new interface I am unlikely to take out a Premium subscription.
thoun

Post by thoun »

bamsedog wrote: 01 December 2022, 12:54 My usual method of using BGA is to hit tables for three different games and play whichever fills up first. Although not a Premium member at the moment, when I have been I'll wait at many more than three tables. It is one of the main attractions for me of paying for Premium membership.
Since this is impossible with the new interface I am unlikely to take out a Premium subscription.
That's why they said they won't remove the old lobby until you can do the same with the new one.
With the new one, you can start a game, search another game and start there too, so you can basically do the same (but it's slower, I agree, that's why they are searching for a better way).
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

Thanks a lot for your messages and feedback :)

Change is not easy, and this is why we worked hard to make this one as easy as possible by building this new lobby AND make the old one still there. As explained in the first post, this is a first step, and if the steps which are missing are the ones you need, please continue to use the old lobby. I should also ask everyone to remain polite here: being agressive only leads us to ignore your message. Thanks again everyone!

I will try to answer below the (polite) questions that are not answered already in the FAQ.
Is it me, or is the "no time limit" option not available?
It is => "Infinite sign" at the left of the Speed Slider.

However this is not possible to create a "no time limit" game with ELO with this lobby. We did have case of players "trapped" in such games with no possibility to quit without losing ELO, so it is possible that this option will be removed completely in the future (no link with this new lobby).
Why can I no longer see who is at the table for arena games?
It is not possible to see in advance who you will face in Arena game (nor to refuse to play with them), with the old lobby or the new one.
I also can't see who's at the table with me while I'm waiting.
Your opponents can be seen just next to your own avatar while you are waiting for a game (and you can click to get extra infos if needed).
Let me organize my games there into categories
From "Games" section, hover a game and click on "+", then "Add to list".
the old system was very clear and easy to understand
Well... at first, each time we introduced a new lobby during the past 12 years, people told us that the previous one was perfect while the new one was terrible. So we are not surprised :)

The old lobby is obviously very clear for the players who are used to use it. But as said in the first post, our statistics shows that this is absolutely not the case with the new registered players on BGA.

We consider that being inclusive and accessible to everyone is one of our most important mission. I will not reveal the numbers here, but the tests we have done show that there is no doubt that more players are able to start a game with this new screen (and we are not talking about 1-3% here).
My usual method of using BGA is to hit tables for three different games and play whichever fills up first.
As explained in the first post, this use case is not adapted to this new lobby for now, and we recommend not to use it for now. The next steps will provide you features that will help you to do the same using the new lobby.
it doesn't show me what specific values of those options are active on the table, just that it 'matches my preferences'
Good point. Not obvious to solve but we will see what we can do.

Note that you are still able to see what the exact options are if you select the table.

Your feedback is very helpful, so please continue to post it there (and to post bugs on the right place). Please be constructive: there is no way back, so please help us to move forward with this new lobby, and if you do not want it at all, again, please continue to use the previous one.
sorryimlikethis

Post by sorryimlikethis »

sourisdudesert wrote: 01 December 2022, 14:01 It is not possible to see in advance who you will face in Arena game (nor to refuse to play with them), with the old lobby or the new one.
Just for reference on this point - it was possible with the old system for games with more than 2 players (i.e. games that don't start instantly when someone joins). You automatically queue for arena like normal and then go to your profile to view the manual table it has created/joined. You could see everyone else around the table, but now it links directly to the game's page (new lobby).

I don't mind this new change as arena is supposed to be about not picking and choosing your opponents.

I look forward to seeing the changes and updates to come. It's natural for people to resist change. If this can make it easier for new players, then good.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

sorryimlikethis wrote: 01 December 2022, 14:26
sourisdudesert wrote: 01 December 2022, 14:01 It is not possible to see in advance who you will face in Arena game (nor to refuse to play with them), with the old lobby or the new one.
Just for reference on this point - it was possible with the old system for games with more than 2 players (i.e. games that don't start instantly when someone joins). You automatically queue for arena like normal and then go to your profile to view the manual table it has created/joined. You could see everyone else around the table, but now it links directly to the game's page (new lobby).
It did used to be like this for quite some time, but more recently (last few months) this loop-hole had been fixed.
sorryimlikethis

Post by sorryimlikethis »

RicardoRix wrote: 01 December 2022, 15:18
sorryimlikethis wrote: 01 December 2022, 14:26
It did used to be like this for quite some time, but more recently (last few months) this loop-hole had been fixed.
I was using it up until last week to see how quickly my Agricola arena games were filling up. The automatic queue isn't reliable when people leave (says waiting for 1 opponent when no one is actually at the table). It was useful to know if I should keep waiting for 1 more player or do something else.
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

sorryimlikethis wrote: 01 December 2022, 15:26 I was using it up until last week to see how quickly my Agricola arena games were filling up. The automatic queue isn't reliable when people leave (says waiting for 1 opponent when no one is actually at the table). It was useful to know if I should keep waiting for 1 more player or do something else.
maybe real-time games were different to turn-based.
T C M

Post by T C M »

So I like the new lobby, very much needed update. But I have one big issue: Restricting table access isnt in yet.

I have a large group of friends that I send turn based game invites to and over a day or two they join the games. I always have "restrict to my friends or group" selected so no randoms join a spot while we are waiting for them to accept. I know the restricting table access is coming soon, but in the meantime how do I block access to random people joining the room after I start it?
sourisdudesert
Administrateur

Post by sourisdudesert »

T C M wrote: 01 December 2022, 19:17 I know the restricting table access is coming soon, but in the meantime how do I block access to random people joining the room after I start it?
Best way to do it at now: click on empty seat, "Invitation link", copy/paste the link on your group discussion, wait for people to join.

Tip: it works whatever the media: email, whatsapp, discord...

Return to “Discussions”