New lobby (integrated to game page)

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Kaladry

Re: New lobby (integrated to game page)

Post by Kaladry »

I like that we can at least join games through both ways, however it doesn’t seem to fully work.

I put myself up for a three player game of Catan, nothing special. Wasn’t getting any hits in the new lobby and went to the other version where you see all tables made and I saw matul por basic three player games open and get filled without it placing me in one. I had to manually join so the new lovby doesn’t really work.
ceedee_on_hols

Post by ceedee_on_hols »

CanuckEddie wrote: 27 February 2023, 18:13 Last weeks game night had many players - but not all - left on the game creation screen (which reset and blanked out) after the start of games. They had to go into the personal menu at the top right to find the table to join the rest of us. It is a weekly event to gripe, moan, and complain about this new interface - ....but I can't file a bug, as the experience is unpredictable or I am too stupid to predict it. I could not provide you with detailed reproduction steps.

I just rematched my long standing turn based game of Santorini and I noticed that when I click rematch, I get taken to a screen that I am ...just supposed to walk away from? Nothing to click, I need to wait for my partner to log on and accept the invitation. Its a weird experience that sits on top of all the other weird experiences.

Maybe we are all using the site "wrong", but I sure don't know what "right" is supposed to be.
I had the same problem with the rematch screen - I HATE the new 'lobby' screen. it is really unintuitive - I like the existing interface, the beauty of it is that it's SIMPLE. PLease please please, developers, remove the 'new' screen, it's very confusing. I have 'accepted' a game that a friend set up, been directed to this screen, and there's nothing about my accepted game on there. Where am i supposed to go to get into that game. I have to go to home screen, the look at my tables, then go there. WHY????
Janabis

Post by Janabis »

Nouvelle déconvenue avec le nouveau lobby ... ayant 30 minutes devant pour un petit jeu, un ami me propose une partie ...

N'étant plus revenu depuis un moment sur le site, il découvre le nouveau lobby & crée la partie ... souci, les options ne sont pas bonnes du tout, c'est en anglais, le temps est au minimum & j'en passe ... Nous annulons donc la partie.
Il en crée donc une nouvelle en tentant de modifier au mieux les options, mais il galère à les trouver & cela nous prend quelques minutes pour créer cette nouvelle partie ... mais là, rebelote, le jeu est en anglais & toutes les options ne sont pas disponibles.
Il fait alors une troisième tentative ... de mon côté, je vais voir sur l'ancien lobby. Là, je le consulte très facilement & rapidement, je lui dis toutes les options possible, il les cherche dans le nouveau, mais ne les trouve pas toutes. Au final, je lui explique comment aller sur l'ancien lobby, il y va & crée enfin la partie, très simplement & rapidement ... la partie se lance enfin, dans les bonnes conditions ouf !

27 minutes pour créer une partie, nous n'avions plus que trois minutes pour jouer ... :(

Autre mésaventure, une amie veux jouer à un jeu à deux, elle lance une partie sur le nouveau lobby que j'accepte aussitôt. La partie ne démarrant pas, elle clique sur démarrer, mais elle ne démarre toujours pas. Elle clique un peu partout & toujours rien.
Au bout d'un moment, j'en ai marre & lui apprends aussi à utiliser l'ancien lobby, & là, très vite, la partie se lance enfin !!!
Nous la jouons tranquillement ... mais à la fin de celle-ci, je me rends compte qu'elle avait créé 5 parties sans s'en rendre compte. Que certains joueurs inconnus l'attendaient sur deux & qu'elle avait une pénalité de temps sur une autre. Moi j'étais sur la dernière, qu'on alors joué aussi. Ce n'est hélas pas la première fois que je vois cela ... & tout ceux que je redirige vers l'ancien lobby sont toujours ravis ... pourquoi insister ? Je ne critique pas l'apparence, mais si seulement il était aussi lisible, intuitif, efficace & fluide que l'ancien ...
Wreckage

Post by Wreckage »

I have a number of complaints, but here's one I think that hasn't been discussed. I play 6 Nimmt with certain settings. I want 5 players/tactics/pro with only strong and above players.

On the old lobby I can see all the tables. I can see a table has average players, strong players, expert players. I can see all the game settings. At a glance I can see a dozen tables and know if there are any that match my preferences. This requires no clicking on anything.

On the new lobby, I click to open the table list. I can only see the number of players and the game speed, nothing else. It shows names of players, but I have no idea if they are beginners or experts. I must click on each table to see any variant or settings info. Then I must click on each individual player to see if they are a beginner or a master.

If there are 10 tables, It gives me a check mark on each table to indicate every table matches my preference. None of them actually match my preferences, but there is a check mark next to all of them saying they do match.

All this info that can't be seen in the new lobby without many, many clicks, is clear and easy, takes a second to see it all in the old lobby.
Last edited by Wreckage on 27 April 2023, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
Subscribenstein

Post by Subscribenstein »

I have no idea how to open a table without filling it with random players.

As a user, I would appreciate a clear way to start a game with friends without invites. I feel like in the old lobby we were able to open a table and send people a link to the table so they could opt themselves in? In my playgroups this is a crucial feature as manually determining who is and isn't playing requires a significant degree of additional actions and communication over just "here's this link and you can join."
spacecat1203

Post by spacecat1203 »

I agree with all the comments.

I joined just a few weeks ago and at first it was easy to find any open table. Now it is much more difficult to see what is available and hard to find solo mode. It shows an open table is available, but i can't see the settings unless I click on it. I can put in my preferred settings, but I don't feel like doing that for every game. Sometimes I want to browse and pick a table and this new setup makes that difficult.

It would be nice to have an "open table" view from this screen where I could see the details. This is not intuitive with the current update. I'm sorry to the people I know work so hard on this game, but it would be nice to walk into a room (virtually) looking around and see if anything looks fun. It is just the way my brain works.
cigma

Post by cigma »

spacecat1203 wrote: 08 April 2023, 02:04 but it would be nice to walk into a room (virtually) looking around and see if anything looks fun.
This is exactly what a lobby should be. But the new "lobby" isn't.
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
Talzaroff

Post by Talzaroff »

When I'm creating a table in the new lobby system (turn-based in this example, but I think it's irrelevant), for every game, this annoying thing happens:
I set the group restrictions to a community group I'm in, set the number of players, then I click one of the + signs to get the link to the table so I can post it in our community feed, and suddenly the restriction on the table is gone and I have to set it again. Is it just me or is that a bug more people experience?
spacecat1203

Post by spacecat1203 »

This is exactly what a lobby should be. But the new "lobby" isn't.
[/quote]
@Cigma

I think I found something close. If you go to Play now screen and from the display options select expand all. It will show the open tables. Hope that helps. It is definitely not easy to find.
cigma

Post by cigma »

Thank you for you explanation, spacecat1203.

That's what I usually do. The Play now page is the "old lobby" and works actually as a lobby. Our discussion was about the "new lobby" (i. e. the game page of any game), which doesn't work as a lobby as described.
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)

Return to “Discussions”