This game sure dropped in popularity, huh?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Hagardunor

Re: This game sure dropped in popularity, huh?

Post by Hagardunor »

SquashEngineer wrote: 18 December 2022, 05:17
Jegpeg wrote: 05 December 2022, 02:29 I found that the liited number of words made it less interesting after a while. After playing 20 or 30 games you have seen have the possible words and it is then MUCH easier to guess what it is.
This killed it for me.
Fully agree.

I raised this issue when I was granted the "Game Guru" status for a while. The answer was : "the publisher's list cannot be changed without his agreement"

I have also been told that BGA administrators asked for permission but got no answer from the publisher. So technicaly it's not a "no", but it's not a "yes" either.

That's a pity, as I also am convinced that it is the main reason why interest in the game drops
Snowcrash000

Post by Snowcrash000 »

JoysJoy wrote: 02 March 2023, 05:54 ... but I notice now that if anyone with a higher ELO drops and runs when lower ELO joins.
I have literally never seen this happen in over 300 games played. It's not like losing a game of Just One impacts your ELO or anything.
SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

Hagardunor wrote: 05 March 2023, 19:40
Jegpeg wrote: 05 December 2022, 02:29 I found that the limited number of words made it less interesting after a while. After playing 20 or 30 games you have seen have the possible words and it is then MUCH easier to guess what it is.
This killed it for me.
Fully agree.

I raised this issue when I was granted the "Game Guru" status for a while. The answer was : "the publisher's list cannot be changed without his agreement"

I have also been told that BGA administrators asked for permission but got no answer from the publisher. So technicaly it's not a "no", but it's not a "yes" either.

That's a pity, as I also am convinced that it is the main reason why interest in the game drops
This doesn’t bode well for the publisher hoping to drum up sales for the actual game. If we’re bored with it after a few plays digitally, who’s going to want to purchase the physical game … ever? It’s Trivial Pursuit (after 5 plays) from the 80’s all over again, isn’t it?
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

SquashEngineer wrote: 19 March 2023, 01:21This doesn’t bode well for the publisher hoping to drum up sales for the actual game. If we’re bored with it after a few plays digitally, who’s going to want to purchase the physical game … ever? It’s Trivial Pursuit (after 5 plays) from the 80’s all over again, isn’t it?
Not sure what you mean by "a few plays". I played Just One 32 times, within a few weeks; some of my friends played much more than that. The game would be more playable online if the publisher allowed more words to be added. But as for the physical game, people aren't going to play it dozens of times a month.
SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

Mathew5000 wrote: 19 March 2023, 02:32
SquashEngineer wrote: 19 March 2023, 01:21This doesn’t bode well for the publisher hoping to drum up sales for the actual game. If we’re bored with it after a few plays digitally, who’s going to want to purchase the physical game … ever? It’s Trivial Pursuit (after 5 plays) from the 80’s all over again, isn’t it?
Not sure what you mean by "a few plays". I played Just One 32 times, within a few weeks; some of my friends played much more than that. The game would be more playable online if the publisher allowed more words to be added. But as for the physical game, people aren't going to play it dozens of times a month.
But if you already see repetition in the word set, as I did after only 3 plays digitally, I can’t imagine wanting to purchase a physical copy. Either I will know all the words, and it will be boring for me to introduce it to the family, or it will get played enough times quickly that the novelty will wane quickly. Replayability for a game like this drops off quickly for me. The popularity spike plummets, and then you can’t even ditch it to somebody else used, even for $5, because the market is flooded, and nobody wants a lame party game, 2 years after the bubble bursts.
CloudJosh

Post by CloudJosh »

Go off king
Guudys

Post by Guudys »

So I'm not sure how accurate that is cause I played the game a lot when it was in Alpha (which was a while ago) but I noticed one thing widely different from the real copy we have at home: there's not proper nouns like Hulk or Dracula. I don't know if that has been changed or if I have been just super unlucky but I've seen lots of the same words many times but never words like Disney or Rocky, or IDK, Cleopatra, PlayStation... whatever playing on the website. In the real game, there's actually lots of those as well as basic non proper nouns. That would definitely make the list more furnished in my opinion.
SquashEngineer

Post by SquashEngineer »

Guudys wrote: 31 March 2023, 11:23 So I'm not sure how accurate that is cause I played the game a lot when it was in Alpha (which was a while ago) but I noticed one thing widely different from the real copy we have at home: there's not proper nouns like Hulk or Dracula. I don't know if that has been changed or if I have been just super unlucky but I've seen lots of the same words many times but never words like Disney or Rocky, or IDK, Cleopatra, PlayStation... whatever playing on the website. In the real game, there's actually lots of those as well as basic non proper nouns. That would definitely make the list more furnished in my opinion.
Even worse then, if they actually had to “trim” the list further for the digital version. Lame.
Guudys

Post by Guudys »

Yes, if that's the case that kinda sucks. I think that the thought process behind it would be to fit all cultures in all languages but at the same time, I remember vividly having the word "cornhole" when we were in Alpha which apparently is known mostly only in the US so all of us in the room who were from various countries but not the US, we had no clue what that was or how to make the person guess it and the guesser from Germany didn't even know what it was or the word itself anyway. I think they removed it because of all the complaints but I think maybe proper nouns are for the same reason, not to be too western centric? Or again, maybe I have been REALLY unlucky never encountering any of those words but I have played 50 games with about 30 when it was out of Alpha.
T72on1

Post by T72on1 »

SquashEngineer wrote: 19 March 2023, 01:21
Hagardunor wrote: 05 March 2023, 19:40

This killed it for me.
Fully agree.

This doesn’t bode well for the publisher hoping to drum up sales for the actual game. If we’re bored with it after a few plays digitally, who’s going to want to purchase the physical game … ever? It’s Trivial Pursuit (after 5 plays) from the 80’s all over again, isn’t it?
I think this is one of those games which don't work well digitally, but all the more so in real life. So I'm not sure if the popularity numbers here are anything to go by when talking about potential actual sale numbers.

Return to “Just One”